Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this acceptable to you??!!??!!!

Posted by   + Show Post
My 8 yo dd tonight informed me that she has TWO HUNDRED sentences to write tomorrow as a punishment "because her teacher is tired of wasting her breath on us." About homework not being turned, not sure if it was us as in our family or the whole class. These are third graders. I was told there was first strike 200 second strike 250 third strike 300! I couldn't believe it. What do you think? Also is it ok if the whole class has to split the two hundred?

I will be seeing the principle in the morning first thing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Replies (341-350):
SassyGirl14
by New Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I had to write 500 sentences of "I won't throw snow on the playground." With another child in the 5th grade at recess. I never did it again! 200 might be a little excessive as a first offense but most likely effective.
MissT1029
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:07 PM
I make my ten yr old write sentences as punishment at home starting with 50 and it goes up by 25 every offense. I don't feel this is an appropriate approach for a teacher though. The correct approach would be no recess and a call or letter home. So you as parents and the teacher can decide what to do if this keeps happening.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 52 on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Its a great way to teach them to listen and do their work...its fine for that grade and age. 

STOP CODDLING KIDS!!---punishment and rewards work well.

An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM

When I was that age, my teacher made us write 5 pages of sentences, front and back. And he inspected it to ensure it was done. No one ever had to write sentences more than once in that class. And he was also mean. He would tell us all the time he was "tired of excuses" and "wasting his breath" and that his "heart pumped peanut butta!" Lol. I still remember him vividly. He was also very upfront about how he taught with our parents and told them at open house in front of all students. If the parents didn't like it, they could move the student. Lol. One of the most effective teachers I've ever had.

zeesmuse
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

As a teacher, thank you. You don't know how many kids I get who WHINE abut how hard it is and parents who email me and whine too. Their extra-curricular is just SOOOO important and this is just 'too much' and I'm just 'too hard' and 'too mean'

if you think I"m hard and too mean... wait until you grow up and get a boss, who doesn't care that you have a date tonight or you just need some flex time... or better yet... I need more time on this project. Even though the project has a deadline.

Quoting Ladybugmama86:

Exactly!!! Parents like you are the reason kids get away with failing classes but teachers still have to pass them anyway. Let her take her punishment and next time she will turn her work in on time.

Quoting BelleVernonGirl:

I had to write when I was in school and it cured me the first time...don't go to the principle...if she didn't do her homework then she should be punished...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 53 on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Teacher needs a chill pill, these are what 7/8 year olds? Seriously? They excell at being goofy, maybe she needs to adjust her teaching style to be more fun and interactive with the students. We don't live in the age of fearing the switch anymore. 

ididntdoit111
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:14 PM

200 is too much. 50 is more age appropriate.

leylasmommy2008
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the bigger question is, why are you making the assumption that your 8y/o isn't mistaken about the exact details of the punishment and running to the principal.  As a teacher, parents like you, who run right to the principal make my job harder.  I think you are over reacting.  And while I do think the punishment is a bit harsh (if really the case), you are making yourself upset without all the details.  Go approach the teacher not the principal......please!

1likeme
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:15 PM
I would have a talk with the teacher. If that didn't get me anywhere I would speak to the principal. Mostly because my children turn in their homework and I would not have them write a single sentence for something they did not do.
NYChicago
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:26 PM
No, it is way harsh. She didn't realize that little children are usually not that focused or responsible? That's why they have parents! Maybe the work she's assigning is too much. She should start with writing maybe 15 lines if someone doesn't turn in their assignments, and go from there. That's even too much for high school students'
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN