Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Thank you Michelle Obama for your so called portion control/calorie counting...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 447 Replies
9 moms liked this

While trying to figure out how we are blowing our food budget every single month, I have realized, I have had to add afterschool MEALS instead of snacks to what I buy.  

My kids are STARVING when they get home.

Looking at the menu for my 2 HS/MS kids for today's lunch:

Walkin’ Taco 

Lettuce/Tomato/

Cheese 

OR 

Hot Ham & Cheese 

Refried Beans OR 

Corn 

Mandarin Oranges 

*Graham Crackers
*HS Students only 

My 2 elementary kids:

Salad Bar Or

Egg & Cheese 

On Biscuit

Hash Brown

Winter Blend

Applesauce

The walking taco consists of a bag of generic Frito Corn Chips, a tablespoon of taco meat, and less than a tablespoon of cheese.  A tablespoon of refried beans or of corn, about a tablespoon full of mandarin oranges.  The Graham crackers is TWO squares out of the 4 and that is only for my oldest.  My middle schooler doesn't get them.  

My 3rd child loves salad bar day.  He comes home full because they actually get to make their own and he loves salad so he piles on as much as he can.  However, #4 hates lettuce and the school will not let her make a "salad" out of just the toppings (ham, bacon bits, crutons, cheese, etc.)  Also, she has an egg sensitivity.  She can eat eggs cooked in things such as cakes or bread or meat loaf, but if she eats eggs on their own, she breaks out in hives.  So she might eat pick at her biscuit, she will eat her hashbrown, and her applesauce.  She MIGHT pick at the winter blend, depending on what it is in it.  

Our schools are NOT equipped to handle kids bringing their own lunches.  For my HS/MS kids, yes, they do have their own lockers, but their lockers are approximately 6 inches wide and 4ft tall.  By the time they stuff their winter coats in and with the books, there is not really room for a lunch bag.  Even if they do take their lunch, it has to be something that does not need refrigeration or reheated.  No microwaves available.  Yes, I have cook paks for them, but they don't always keep things COLD when stuffed basically inside a heavy winter coat for 3hrs.  

My elementary kids CANNOT take their lunches.  School policy.  The school has NO WHERE to store them.  No, they do not have lockers, they do not have cubby holes, they hang their coats outside the classrooms on a hook with a smaller hook under it for their backpacks.  They will not allow lunches to hang out there because anyone could access them and they feel it is unsafe.  There is just not any room in the classrooms for the teachers to store them.  They do not have individual desks.  They sit at round group tables of 4-6 students.  

So, I have explained why I cannot send their lunches.  Now, instead them coming home and wanting a light snack while doing homework or before rushing off to other activities, the oven is coming on for frozen pizza, they're fighting over last nights leftovers, cans of soups or pastas are being opened, a loaf and half of bread along with two packages of cheese are disappearing for grilled cheese sandwiches, a MEAL is being made instead of grabbing an apple/banana/orange or a snack cake or a small bowl of chips/dips/salsa.  

I am spending an extra $50-$150 weekly on this extra meal.  What makes it extra sad is that they know supper is at 6pm.  We're talking 2.5 hrs after they all get home.  They can't wait, they're hungry.  I have tried moving supper up to 4:30-5pm to avoid this extra meal, but then they come through about 9-10pm claiming they're starving again so there they go to the kitchen to fix their meal.  I have talked to other parents and they're saying the same thing.  The kids are rushing in and straight to the kitchen for food.  Not a snack, food.  It is breaking the budget for a lot of us.  

This is just a vent.  I don't want to hear "turn off your internet for extra money."  I only pay 14.95 a month for our internet and the kids, all 4 of them, need it for homework AND DH needs our home access for work.  Only DH and I have cell phones and he has to be able to reach me at all times due to his work (I work for him from home.)  We do not have cable or dish/directTV.  We do have a netflix and watch what we can online or don't watch TV anymore.  

I just wanted to vent that I think it is a pretty shitty idea to cut down the portions for our growing kids. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Complain to the school board.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninjakids
by Christina on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:17 AM
Bump for the morning lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicole1357
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:18 AM

Yeah seems ridiculous 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:22 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Roxygurl:

Complain to the school board.

They're going by the new federal guidelines that the schools HAVE to follow.  Google it and you will see MANY kids, parents, school cafeteria employees, complaining about it.  The school board didn't do it.  Michelle Obama and her minions did "to fight childhood obesity."  The schools HAVE to follow these federal guidelines or lose funding.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:23 AM
3 moms liked this
Blah blah blah let's.talk about something that matters.
jeweldragons
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:26 AM
23 moms liked this

Other countries have smaller portion sizes than the States.  Europe's portions would be about the size of a salad plate.  There is no need or reason for our portions to be as big as they are in the States.  I think portion sizes need to follow the example of Europe in this country of ours.  If we only serve 1/3 of what a 'normal' plate is in our country our bodies will eventually get used to that and we'd be less likely to overeat.  Of course smaller portions won't do anything if people are not eating healthy and exercising.  I think the entire school food program needs to be revamped personally.  More healthy choices.  It'd be nice if schools could make foods from scratch but apparently that isn't possible.  They should also offer different types of milk for kids who are allergic to cow milk.  I think maybe there should be a gradual thing in schools where they slowly cut portions down.  This way it isn't a sudden change that kids have to get used to.  Maybe do 'normal' portions in the lower elementary grades and then in upper grades start slowly decreasing the portions. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:26 AM
9 moms liked this

WTF does Michelle Obama have to do with your school's shitty lunches?  

You have way too much time on your hands.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:28 AM
14 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Blah blah blah let's.talk about something that matters.

It doesn't matter to you that your tax dollars help fund these school lunches, which BTW, are going to increase by at least 20 cents (taking them up to $2.50 per day here) and kids are going hungry?

It doens't bother you that in this economy where parents are struggling every single day to make ends meet, that the government cut a meal in half, which may be the only hot meal that some kids get each day?  It doesn't bother you that they tossed it back to the struggling parents to put out MORE money because Michelle Obama thinks our kids need to count calories?  Kids need food as fuel for their brains.  If they're hungry at school, they are NOT able to concentrate properly.  

This IS something that matters.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:28 AM

oh you want to make your kids fat with huge portions huh .

bellawomen
by Summer on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:32 AM
16 moms liked this
Your portions are incredibly off. My monster in law works at a high school for the nutrition department and they definitely get more than 1 tablespoon of meat, cheese, and retried beans.

The schools CANNOT prevent you from bringing packed lunches. It violates your rights. My son has never ate a school meal and never will because of allergies.

On the flip side, I know nearly all teenagers eat 4 or 5 full meals a day, even the skinny ones. Teens just eat a lot, period.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)