Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parents who let their young kids wander alone in walmart....

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM
  • 41 Replies

It never fails, everytime I go to walmart I see a little kid or few wandering around alone. I'm talking about 2, 3 4 maybe 5 years old.

And it's scary to think these parents just don't care, or think it's no issue at all. Are you a parent that does this? If so, why? I'm not here to bash you or give you a what for. I'm just curious.

Walmart is rated one of the TOP places in child abductions, and attacks. From taking place in the store or the parking lot.

I never let my child wander off, he is always in the cart, or right next to me pushing the cart with me.

What makes these parents feel so comfortable that they allow their child to wander off?

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinmama411
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM

While I do think some people are a little over paranoid about these things, I have never let my kids roam freely in any store and I can't ever remember seeing a child as young as you are talking about wondering alone either. They are usually trailing their parents.

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Jesus. I would never let my kids run around without supervision.

We'll let ODD run up ahead of us sometimes, but never very far. And if we call her back towards us, she comes back no questions asked.

teal_phoenix
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I am not that parent.

The walmart in our town, I don't see it. However, there is a walmart two towns away from us where this is common.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I let my kid walk to the middle of an aisle and back to fetch something while I stand at the end. Thats it. Shes 9 though and still has never been out of my sight, (she thinks she has but she hasnt) I like to watch from a distance while promoting independance. I as a child though was allowed to what ever when ever even staying out all night with my friends in elementary school.

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:11 PM
I had to follow a little boy who looked 3 or 4 around a few weeks ago. I was trying to find someone with a walkie, but I wasn't about to let him out of my sight. He found his parents and I went back to work. A few minutes later they came up to me and said they lost him again -_-
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:11 PM

When I worked there, a kid was brought up to the service desk, and for 45 minutes, we paged the family. Come to find out, they didn't speak english, and neither did the child. They finally came up to us, snatched said child like we were kidnappers, and yelled at us in their language.

I am not racist, but this happened more than once with non-english speakers. I worked there for two years and not once did an english-speaking child go missing.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:11 PM
I would never let a child wander around alone at that age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiDoMama
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:12 PM
It depends on the Walmart, like another poster said. The one closest to me always has random kids wandering about. I don't go there. The one I go to, I never see that. Either way, its a dumb move on the parents' fault.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

It's always the mexican kids here

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Holy crap, I let my 14 yo but she has a cell phone with her. I would never let a child that young wonder.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN