Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents who let their young kids wander alone in walmart....

Posted by   + Show Post

It never fails, everytime I go to walmart I see a little kid or few wandering around alone. I'm talking about 2, 3 4 maybe 5 years old.

And it's scary to think these parents just don't care, or think it's no issue at all. Are you a parent that does this? If so, why? I'm not here to bash you or give you a what for. I'm just curious.

Walmart is rated one of the TOP places in child abductions, and attacks. From taking place in the store or the parking lot.

I never let my child wander off, he is always in the cart, or right next to me pushing the cart with me.

What makes these parents feel so comfortable that they allow their child to wander off?

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM
My son has spd and impulse control problems so he darts off when I turn my back. I would never allow him to wander. I have been using the cart with the seating for older kids so I can strap him in and know he is safe. He won't always stay in there though. He is 3, almost 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I always see young Asian kids wandering at my Walmart.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's always the mexican kids here

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Forget kidnappers, it bugs the hell out of me when parents leave their kids in the toy aisle while they shop and then don't even clean up the mess.
hismommy2010
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:18 PM

That's wonderful if the people in your town aren't allowing their lil ones to run off. But in my state/town I see it all the time.

I was just there last night, there were 2 little boys ( still in diapers) in the makeup aisle. Playing with toys ( the toy section isn't far from the makeup). And there were not other adults close by. The make up section is closed in with the aisle's... Then I was over by the kids clothes, and there were 2 little girls playing in the racks.. Couldn't have been more then 4-5 years old... Again no adult near by at all.

Then when I was paying for my stuff, I looked across at the arcade, and again little kids with no adults! I took  my son in there who is 3, so he could ride the tigger boat... And one of the little kids started to play wit him, I asked the child how old he was . He said 4!

So while it may not happen in your area, it does here. And I live in New Mexico, not far from the border. So yes I take this very serious!

Quoting lovinmama411:

While I do think some people are a little over paranoid about these things, I have never let my kids roam freely in any store and I can't ever remember seeing a child as young as you are talking about wondering alone either. They are usually trailing their parents.

illinoismommy83
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

This is why classy stores have signs about how unattended children are given Mt. Dew and a puppy.

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Ever hear of Adam Walsh..?

macysmom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I have witnessed an abduction from Walmart. Luckily the man was caught. My child never leaves my sight. If she even walks behind me I will freak out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM
He walks next to the cart.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovinmama411
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I've lived all over, we move at least once a year and I can't say I have ever seen a 2 or 3 year old just roaming walmart freely. The times I have they were lost and crying. I have also lived close to the border in Brownsville and can't say it was much different. I have also lived in San Antonio, Cincinnati, Mobile, and too many others to name, so I can't say it's just my area. 

If I saw that many small children playing alone at walmart in one trip, I would probably say something to a manager. It's neglect on the parent's part and the store could get into trouble themselves if the child was somehow injured. If I saw a 2 or 3 year old alone in a store, I would take them by the hand and find management at the very least.

And yes, I would take it serious also if it were that bad, I'm just saying I've never seen it that bad. If you look at stats on kidnappings in stores from random strangers you will find that it is actually quite rare. I would be more concerned for the child's safety while not being properly supervised.

Quoting hismommy2010:

That's wonderful if the people in your town aren't allowing their lil ones to run off. But in my state/town I see it all the time.

I was just there last night, there were 2 little boys ( still in diapers) in the makeup aisle. Playing with toys ( the toy section isn't far from the makeup). And there were not other adults close by. The make up section is closed in with the aisle's... Then I was over by the kids clothes, and there were 2 little girls playing in the racks.. Couldn't have been more then 4-5 years old... Again no adult near by at all.

Then when I was paying for my stuff, I looked across at the arcade, and again little kids with no adults! I took  my son in there who is 3, so he could ride the tigger boat... And one of the little kids started to play wit him, I asked the child how old he was . He said 4!

So while it may not happen in your area, it does here. And I live in New Mexico, not far from the border. So yes I take this very serious!

Quoting lovinmama411:

While I do think some people are a little over paranoid about these things, I have never let my kids roam freely in any store and I can't ever remember seeing a child as young as you are talking about wondering alone either. They are usually trailing their parents.

malexander2009
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM

At a once upon a child out here it's an expresso and a free puppy. 

Quoting illinoismommy83:

This is why classy stores have signs about how unattended children are given Mt. Dew and a puppy.

We are a family of 6. We love God. We love the Bible and believe it is the living Word. We believe in Salvation through Grace by Faith is the only way to Heaven. We are pro-traditional family. We are pro-proper discipline. We are pro-life. We do not vax. We are for breastfeeding to 1, any thing after that using a cup or bottle even is fine. DS got my milk until I dried up with DD and DS2 at 5 months, DS1 was 20 months. We are pro-circumcision. You will not get a rise out of me. You ask my opinion I give it. I do not get in arguments over the internet about petty subjects such as the ones I have listed. Don't like it tough don't take my advice then.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured