Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A grocery store tantrum...

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:15 PM
  • 31 Replies
I'm not one to complain about other people's choices, to each their own, but at the grocery store this evening I saw a mom grab a six pack of those mini cupcakes and put it in her basket. Almost imediately, her toddler wanted one and made a scene. I cringed when I saw her set her stuff down and open up the container to give him one. It was about five PM, a little before dinner time in our house, but again, everyone is different. I went about my business and a few aisles over i saw them again, he was screaming, stomping his feet and pulling at the basket. Again the mom just sighed and gave him another cupcake. By the time i went to check out, i saw them one more time and he had a third cupcake in his hand! I don't know if it's just me, but i'd rather hear a toddler pitching a fit and having a tantrum than seeing the mother give in just to keep him quiet. My daughter is not perfect, by all means, but she know when i tell her NO about something, especially in a store i mean it. I've left a full cart in the grocery store before and brought her out to the car until she had control of herself and she's learned that it will not be tolerated. Three cupcakes within ten minutes is a bit ridiculous. JMO
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JNLmomme09
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM
I agree however I have been in that situation. Maybe he didn't have lunch or something.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd not do that. If my kid wanted to cry he'd cry in the cart and not get a damn thing when we got home. Hell i'd put the cupcakes back.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM
3 moms liked this
I wish I had a cupcake right now :)
CatFishMom
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM

The more of a fuss my kids make, the less likely they are to get what theyre fussing about and even my twenty month old is figuring that out-quickly. At four and almost two, they both know how to say please and thank you and the four year old knows that the minute he whines (which doesnt stop him from whining, just that he knows better) whatever is being asked for is out the window.
As for the cupcakes-I might have given one if asked nicely. Frankly, I dont buy that crap so usually the frantic demands are for the strawberries or apples I just stuck in the cart but my older son understands when I say the fruit has to be washed and if it has to be weighed, paid for first. The little guy doesnt really get those things but he does say okay when I tell him 'in a litte while' and then he'll ask again five minutes later, but again, hes little and screaming isnt involved. No way would I be giving three cupcakes in ten minutes in response to a screaming fit. Those things would have been tossed back on the shelf with the first tantrum.

DyerMaker
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM
5 moms liked this

Why do you really think this is any of your business? Do you not have anything better to do than to critique another persons parenting?

You aren't walking in Her shoes.... A few scenarios for you to think about... Lets just say this mom had a close friend or family member die and rather than deal with another emotional battle at that very moment, she gave the kid cupcakes...... Or maybe this mom is raising a child with autism and she could care less if the kid eats a dozen cupcakes because he hasn't eaten ANYTHING in 3 days and she can shop without others looking at her screaming child. At least he is eating something and is fairly content.

Let those who have NEVER had a parenting fail moment judge... Because YOU are perfect. Smh. 

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM
I wouldn't give in either, but it's possible she had had a crappy day and just didn't have the energy for the judgemental bitchiness that parents get if they dare to have a child that makes noise in public. Poor lady can't win either way.
Motherof3inNJ
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM

DS5 is autistic and nonverbal and I usually don't take him grocery shopping because when he sees food he likes, he wants it right away. I have no way to make him understand that it's almost dinnertime and that you can have 1 and that's it. At home and at school these foods are put up except for snacktime. How would my son know the difference?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Wow... I don't even know where to start. When dd was that age, I always kept snacks in my purse or the diaper bag just incase she got hungry while running errands... I can't imagine giving dd a cup cake to calm her down... Yea she had tantrums in the store and sometimes still does but it gets her nothing except put back in the cart, she wants to walk but runs off sometimes and will throw a fit for getting scolded for it so she gets put in the cart. When I hear tantruming toddlers, I just ignore it because I clearly remember the embarrassment
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Maybe mind your own business and not follow people around the store!

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)