Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is Michelle Duggar abusive?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Wow. I've always been the first to defend the Duggar family. On tv they seem perfectly happy, they support themselves, and the kids seem well adjusted. I stumbled upon an article about how one of the girl's wants to move to NYC, but Michelle won't let her. Ok, whatever. Your child moving across the country to NYC would be scary to ANY parent, so not a huge deal. But the discussion in the comments blew. my. mind. They were going back and forth about how Michelle, the mother, is abusive. I decided to research some things they mentioned. And wow. I had no idea that they lived this way and endorced such torturous punishment. Here is one article I read, in it they discuss how Michelle practices something called "blanket training", where she lays the baby on a blanket, baits them to move off of it, and then hits them with a ruler to punish them for giving in to temptation. A baby. This is done so mom can "chat on the phone or do other things without the baby moving". Thoughts?

http://www.chicagonow.com/running-with-a-book-cart/2011/11/are-the-duggars-guilty-of-child-abuse/

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Replies (101-110):
1likeme
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:31 AM
4 moms liked this
Personally, I think their entire family life is abusive. People have bad days, people do not wake up and go to bed smiling 24-7-364. Children should not be forced to raise siblings. There is no room in their family for individuality. Every one of them completely conforms to their parents demands and healthy people with a good sense of self do not blindly follow what any one person says. I think the abuse in that family is much more insidious and I would bet that 20 years from now we will all be reading the memoirs of the duggar children.
kelly617
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:31 AM

If she is actually doing that "blanket training" then yes thats abuse

Thats like offering a cooking and smacking the kid when they take it....thats fucked up

Evelynsmama2012
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:34 AM

You read "To Train Up A Child" didn't you? and judging by your stupid words,I'm guessing you follow it too,Like so many other brainless abusive morons

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not a troll. I just believe that discipline should start at a young age. As soon as the child is old enough to crawl that is when it should start. I am not talking about beating but stern nos, light hand smacking and redirecting.

Quoting robibuni:

Yeah...I call troll on this.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think she is

She was training the child and anyone who says that babies cannot reason is full of baloney.I have infants look at the thing you just told them no and go for it aagain. Its called discipline.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM
That train up a child is freaking insane. That's a fact. Another fact is that the duggars do endorse it. I personally think that she takes advantage of her children in the level that they are responsible for thir younger siblings and household care. I mean ya you could easily have a billion kids if all you do is carry them and then pass them off to an older sibling!
mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm sorry, but no. I am a Christian woman and I do NOT 'train up my child' and he is definitely NOT brat. Please speak for yourself and don't make all Christians look like a bunch of crazies.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is a book called "to train up a child" that Christian women use..... Of course the "outside" would would think its abuse. We consider it training. We don't have brats for kids like y'all do.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BShip2010
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM

That's hard to believe and you can't believe everything you see, especially from a random source.  Maybe she does, maybe she doesn't.. Idk

Lizardannie1966
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:37 AM

It's been shown time and time again to be very cautious taking to heart, things you've read or heard about on the Net.

Kage336
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:37 AM
I would think at least 1 of the children would want or try to stray away. I've known many people with extremely religious parents who grew to hate the religion, as well as their parents for shoving it down their throats. I'm also curious about what has happened behind the scenes.

Quoting ilovemyboys84:

Yes but it could happen. People break away and speak about cults all of the time.

Quoting Blueliner:

Yeah, but that won't happen... she's been training them not to since before they could talk!

Quoting ilovemyboys84:

No one will ever know 100% until one of the kids leave and speak 100% of everything on the own free will in their words.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Really?

She gives an explanation and her words are "stupid" and she's an "abusive moron?"

Quoting Evelynsmama2012:

You read "To Train Up A Child" didn't you? and judging by your stupid words,I'm guessing you follow it too,Like so many other brainless abusive morons

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not a troll. I just believe that discipline should start at a young age. As soon as the child is old enough to crawl that is when it should start. I am not talking about beating but stern nos, light hand smacking and redirecting.

Quoting robibuni:

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think she is

She was training the child and anyone who says that babies cannot reason is full of baloney.I have infants look at the thing you just told them no and go for it aagain. Its called discipline.

Evelynsmama2012
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

yea,that's what i said ,got a problem with it,Tough titties,Anyone who endorses hitting an infant in anway is an abusive moron who deserves to have their kids taken away

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Really?

She gives an explanation and her words are "stupid" and she's an "abusive moron?"

Quoting Evelynsmama2012:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting robibuni:

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think she is

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN