Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is Michelle Duggar abusive?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Wow. I've always been the first to defend the Duggar family. On tv they seem perfectly happy, they support themselves, and the kids seem well adjusted. I stumbled upon an article about how one of the girl's wants to move to NYC, but Michelle won't let her. Ok, whatever. Your child moving across the country to NYC would be scary to ANY parent, so not a huge deal. But the discussion in the comments blew. my. mind. They were going back and forth about how Michelle, the mother, is abusive. I decided to research some things they mentioned. And wow. I had no idea that they lived this way and endorced such torturous punishment. Here is one article I read, in it they discuss how Michelle practices something called "blanket training", where she lays the baby on a blanket, baits them to move off of it, and then hits them with a ruler to punish them for giving in to temptation. A baby. This is done so mom can "chat on the phone or do other things without the baby moving". Thoughts?

http://www.chicagonow.com/running-with-a-book-cart/2011/11/are-the-duggars-guilty-of-child-abuse/

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Replies (71-80):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM

She hasn't just read it, she publically endorses it

Quoting nataliesmom2012:

I'm guessing she read the book How To Train Up a Child or whatever the hell it's called... That's the kind of crap the parents who wrote that book talked about.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Christian? As in wear a dress have long hair no tv real Christian or a fake sinning religion Christian? There is a huge difference.

Quoting Anonymous:

Who's "y'all"? I'm a Christian woman and I've never laid a hand (or other object) on my children. They are very respectful members of society.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is a book called "to train up a child" that Christian women use..... Of course the "outside" would would think its abuse. We consider it training. We don't have brats for kids like y'all do.

ksueditz
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:10 AM
3 moms liked this
If using a switch on a 6 month old is YOUR idea of "training," then I'd rather have "brats."

Quoting Anonymous:

There is a book called "to train up a child" that Christian women use..... Of course the "outside" would would think its abuse. We consider it training. We don't have brats for kids like y'all do.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Oostera
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:10 AM
6 moms liked this
I'm a Christian woman and I would commit murder before I would ever touch that disgusting book.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Quoting jjchick75:

Have you ever watched this show? This woman barley talks above a whisper 98% of the time. She is very gentle in her parenting approach and it's just really hard for me to believe that she'd all of sudden switch to a crazy lady with a ruler. I think it's the internet and people put lies on the internet all the time. I could write a blog and say anything I want, wouldn't make it true. I think it's one of those things you have no idea what goes on in that house, there is very little proof of this happening, so you've got to just let it go.

She could easily be acting. Ever heard or read "A Child Called It" well his mother put on the "perfect mother" act as well. She was head of the PTA or something like that. No one suspected her of child abuse. No one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:12 AM
3 moms liked this

Can't believe I just read this, and I can't believe I'm even responding to this nonsense. A Christian. Someone who prays to God and believes in His good deeds. Every Christian is a "real" Christian. And ALL Christians sin. You're sinning right now.

Quoting Anonymous:

Christian? As in wear a dress have long hair no tv real Christian or a fake sinning religion Christian? There is a huge difference.

Quoting Anonymous:

Who's "y'all"? I'm a Christian woman and I've never laid a hand (or other object) on my children. They are very respectful members of society.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

as for the blanket training, they have addressed this in the show, she does, use it, but she does not bait them to come off the blanket, nor does she hit them when they do, she just puts them back on the blanket and hands them a toy to play with.. it is how she homeschooled the older kids while they were in a smaller house.

nataliesmom2012
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM
4 moms liked this
Dear lord save those children! Kids have died because of that book. It's sickening.

Quoting Anonymous:

She hasn't just read it, she publically endorses it

Quoting nataliesmom2012:

I'm guessing she read the book How To Train Up a Child or whatever the hell it's called... That's the kind of crap the parents who wrote that book talked about.

Oostera
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM
You don't sound very Christian with your judgement. Isn't that something that should be retained for God?
All of those things you just mentioned are Old Testament, love.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

ksueditz
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM
I googled it and the first-very first quote- was pastor pearl recommends using a switch on 6 month olds. To train them like Amish mules. You're welcome.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)