Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't tell people my son has autism.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 288 Replies
13 moms liked this

Neither friends nor family except my best friend and sister knows my son has autism.

I don't feel the need to and I don't like him to be treated differerntly or pitied.

That is my confession.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:48 AM
21 moms liked this

you dont have to explain yourself, your children, or your life to anyone. 

So.Ill.Mama
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:50 AM
2 moms liked this

that's your choice, and that's fine. i don't have any special needs children, but if i did, i don't think i'd go around announcing it or anything. if someone asked, then sure, i'd be more than happy to enlighten them (as long as they weren't rude/hateful about it, of course).. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:52 AM
2 moms liked this
They probably already do
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM
33 moms liked this
That's apart of who he is. Concealing it in my opinion,is only doing him and yourself a disservice. I wouldn't announce it to the world, but hiding a part of who he is from family and friends to me is sad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM
37 moms liked this

I don't hide it, it's not really something you CAN hide.  I just don't announce it or openly talk about it as so many moms seem to.

I don't post autism ribbons and quotes on my fb.  I DO post our triumphs.  I don't complain to people about our difficulties I DO brag about his accomplishments.

I don't want him to be defined by autism.  

Quoting Anonymous:

That's apart of who he is. Concealing it in my opinion,is only doing him and yourself a disservice. I wouldn't announce it to the world, but hiding a part of who he is from family and friends to me is sad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:00 AM
There's nothing wrong with that. I had an autism scare with my 2 year old (still wonder sometimes). My husband and I decided there is no reason to really tell people unless he is under their care. Not that we would be ashamed. But like you said, we don't want him treated differently and we didn't want the negative comments. We weren't gling to ignorethe fact he may have it. We woukd take action right away. But our families just tend to be so negative about things and we try to keep a positive outlook on every situation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM
4 moms liked this
I have a friend who constantly posts negative things on her fb page about it. I feel like she is just dwelling in his diagnoses..does that make sense? I'm sure it's not easy. But I feel like sge defines him by Autism. I feel like she causes him to be limited.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't hide it, it's not really something you CAN hide.  I just don't announce it or openly talk about it as so many moms seem to.

I don't post autism ribbons and quotes on my fb.  I DO post our triumphs.  I don't complain to people about our difficulties I DO brag about his accomplishments.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:07 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't really tell people either. If someone asks, then I'm honest about it, but I don't broadcast it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:09 AM

I feel like a lot of people do that.  When I see people I don't want people to ask me "how are you coping?"

I want them to say to Z "I heard to you did great with ____"

kwim?

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a friend who constantly posts negative things on her fb page about it. I feel like she is just dwelling in his diagnoses..does that make sense? I'm sure it's not easy. But I feel like sge defines him by Autism. I feel like she causes him to be limited.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)