Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I need help. I have created a monster with my baby

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My baby (my 5th) nursed every 2 hours around the clock for 6 months so she has been in our bed. Hubby has slept on the couch for years because he snores and I like to stay up late watching TV which always kept him awake. He is happy on the couch, he says. Anyway, at 7 months of age after my daughter had been weaned for about a month I tried moving her to her crib, which is in my room. She SCREAMED. I couldn't take it and after 20 minutes I caved and brought her in my bed. She is 15 months old now. Every night we read a book, she takes 4 oz out of a bottle and I try to put her in her crib. She SCREAMS. I have tried going in and comforting her every 7 minutes for an hour and nothing works. Nothing is working. All I want is to be able to put her down in her crib and have a little time alone to sit and read or watch some TV or play/read with my older kids without her in my bed. When she is in my bed, she wakes up and screams every single time I creep out of bed in the middle of the night to pee. We have tried it at naptime and bedtime. I NEVER let my older 4 kids in my bed so I am clueless. Any helpful suggestions? I love her to pieces but when I am home she is in my arms or in my lap and even in bed she is right on top or next to me. I just want a little time alone! Thanks!

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
XnikoX
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Like the other posters are saying. CONSISTANCY.

Every time you cave in and bring her into your bed you're sending the message that no matter what eventually mom will give in and give her what she wants. lol. You have to stick with it.

So.Ill.Mama
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:41 AM
I saw this supernanny show a couple weeks ago where they had a 1 yr old boy something like that... the nanny (it's the AA lady..I can't remember her name. Ugh) had the dad lay the kid on his belly in his crib and rub his back and talk soothingly to him. That kid HATED it...at first. But then he settled down and went right to sleep. His was nap time (they didn't have him taking one at all and then wondered why he was being an inconsolable terror by nighttime), but Idk why that wouldn't work for bedtime or whenever.
The nanny had the dad do it because the mom couldn't stand hearing the baby cry. She had 7 total kids.
I don't have any personal experience, though. All of my kids are/were good sleepers. This post reminded me of that episode, though. GL.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paganmommy4
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:42 AM

She will get used to it

mudwrap
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:27 AM
Give her more milk. At 15 months they drink more than 8 oz at night. Helps them to sleep better.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CV3
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:33 AM

My son was fifteen months old when we put him in the crib. We held him till he was just about asleep, put him down and let him cry 5min, repeat, 10min, repeat 20 min and he was almost always asleep for good after the 10min repeat. Took 3 days for him to start sleeping through the night in the crib just fine. A week until he didnt cry at all.

SadeAyosmom
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:40 AM

this will pass.

nothing is working and im assuming you have tried everything.

so.

stop, stop trying and try again in 3 months. baby will be 18 months old then and alot changes at that age as you already know.

it might just take her getting a little older for this to pass and transition to occur.

that said i co sleep/ breastfeed both my kids till they were 2. then on their second bday thats it they are OUT! haha. my son is 16 months now and loves co sleeping with me. SO sleeps on the bottom bunk and DD in the top bunk. i never had any trouble getting DD into her own bed at 2 i tried at 1 with her no luck. so i waited till it was easier on all of us. 

BelleVernonGirl
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:44 AM

See this is what I was wondering about..It's been SOOO long since I had babies but...I thought at 15 months she should be taking way more than 4oz of milk...It would help her stay alseep longer I would say....

Quoting mudwrap:

Give her more milk. At 15 months they drink more than 8 oz at night. Helps them to sleep better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:50 AM
Omg.... I'm expecting my first in May. I was planning on cosleeping & bf.... This sounds like a nightmare!!!!!!!!

omg.

BUMP!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:51 AM

OUR FIRST two did not co sleep unless they had nightmares, loved their cribs, loved their beds, never issues.. but our 3 yr old son, totally difft story.... I dont believe in making them miserable so you can have some peace, my son is a clinger too, lol, but he would NEVER EVER go in a crib, I mean we tried everything, everyones advice, HATED that thing, would freak out, dh put him to bed, etc You know at 12 months our boys could climb out too, we got him a play yard and he loved it, several times we placed him in it to "play" had music he could push on that made lights, etc. More entertaining, got him a dog that sings when he pushes it, but he couldnt do the actual crib, I dont know what that was, but it didnt work for him. You may have to move it out of your room and go slow with it. If you are still right there, its like hello mom I am here what is wrong with you.  Try letting her sleep in another bed, on the couch, somewhere else, not laying with you, it takes time and patience. THAT IS A HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:51 AM
i don't know if this will help but what ive been told is take off the shirt you are currently wearing and lay it in the crib then let your dd sleep on top of it. It might also be bc she is teething so what i do with ds is give him a cold teether and some milk. if he screams and doesnt want the milk (which rarely happens) i give him a little bit of tylenol then try the milk. He usually just passes out after that. Thing is I know he is teething bc he has his two bottom teeth in and her top are coming in.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN