Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help me decide... eBay, donate or garage sale?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

I am currently spring cleaning.  I have so much stuff... not as in "I'm a hoarder" stuff but my storage spaces are overflowing.  I have stored away 12 years of my kids clothes.  I don't know why I never got rid of them, I just didn't.  Lots of them have never been worn or only worn a few times (grandma when a little overboard buying when they were little).  But I want to get rid of them now.  I could take the easy and most charitable way out  and donate everything.  OR I could have a garage sale, make a few dollars but would have to deal with the ones who want armfuls of clothes for $1.00.  OR I could put everything on eBay which would take time and have to deal with shipping but could still make some money.  

Being a single mom, I could really use any money I could get out of this, otherwise the decision would be easy... I would donate it all.

What should I do?  What would you do?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mattiehatter
by Mary on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I would consider setting up lots on ebay or a garage sale. You can get on the post office website and order flat rate boxes (they're free) and put flat rate shipping on your lots if you do ebay. If you do the garage sale whatever does not sell could be donated.

laineysmum
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly I would go two ways: take the best stuff and list it on ebay. This includes any "nice" clothes (take good photos and list them as "lots" on ebay.. sets of 7-10 pieces of clothing each, with a reasonable starting bid) any valuable or vintage knickknacks or household items.

Everything else goes to the garage sale, and when you advertise for that list a time of day when prices will become negotiable or you will start doing whatever fits into a safeway bag for $5 each bag. 

Then donate everything that doesn't sell at all. 

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:17 AM

me personally would donate it... but if you need the money and have the time, sort and list

anitarichman
by Anita on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Bring them to a consignment  shop and then if they don't sell there have a garage sale.  Ebay isn't really worth it with all the work that is involved and packing and shipping it. 

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:11 AM
We have a local Facebook page to put things for sale on with no charge, that's how I do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
southern.momof2
by Pirate on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Garage sale If you want to deal with it. I always donate everything because I don't have time for eBay or garage sales.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM

if you need the $$ set up a table in front of your house on the weekends.

(if your town allows it and you have good traffic).

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:14 AM
How old are the clothes? If out of style donate.
AnnLanders
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I'd sell it and donate the leftovers.  Ebay takes a lot of work.  If you're not up for managing the shipping process then do a garage sale.  Choose your donation spot carefully depending on what you want done with the clothes.  Remember that Goodwill is not in the business of outfitting the less fortunate, they sell merchandise to fund their own employment.  

nomadbrat83
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:20 AM
I would donate but then again I always donate my kids' stuff. Plus depending on the styles of clothes, some people may not want to buy clothes that are 12 years old. Styles do change. Jmo
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN