Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Possibly losing my job bc I'm pregnant

I'm a groomer and have been grooming for 10 years. I've been with company for 5 years, since they opened their doors. When I started I brought my clients, but they had around two dogs a week. Now, I'm booked constantly 2 weeks out, 4 around the holidays. My husband works there on Saturdays, more as a favor to me. I told my boss as soon as I found I was pregnant bc I had to stop grooming cats and crazy big dogs. They were fine with it, my husband took them over. Well 2 weeks at 21 weeks I went into preterm labor. My doctor put me on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy. Their goal for me is 28 weeks. I'm now 23 weeks. They don't think I'll go further. Well I was told everything would be fine, I'd have my job when I got back, I'm a great employee etc. They said they were going to try to get a temporary groomer just to take over while I was out. Yesterday, I received a letter in the mail stating that, they are not legally obligated to keep my job and are hiring a full time groomer. It also said they would try to still have a position open blah blah blah. Apparently, even though this chain has 10 places, bc there is not 50 employees in a 75 mike radius, they don't have to go by FMLA. I was so upset, crying my eyes out. I put 110% into my work. My clients are more my friends, and I truly love the dogs. I had no clue I would be treated this way. Is this even legal? For goodness sakes, my husband is still there trying to help while I'm gone! I was out a month last year, workers comp, I had hurt my shoulder and no one came in. They all waited. The poor temporary groomer was back down to 2 a week. So I'm sorry of this sounds bad but I hope it happens again. I've already had people call me to find out what's going on. Sorry I know its long but had to vent

Update: Just wanted to say thank you for the support! I can promise you the clients I brought will go where I go, as far as the rest of them, the ones from the last 5 years, that is up to them. I'm not sure what we will decide to do just yet. Lots of praying to do. I will not try to steal anyone but where they go is their choice. Apparantly my husband said he is booked until May, everyone is now asking for him. For the ones who said I should have looked into it before taking the job or getting pregnant, I was told we would never have a baby on our own.

Update: I know it has been a while but a lot has happened. I'm still pregnant :) my job recently hired another groomer and are terminating me june 11. My baby is due July 11. Today my boss and I talked and she said she wants me to reapply immediately when I can come back. Its a real 180. It really took me by surprise. Later today we found out we got aprroved to open a shop of our own! I am so excited and so scared. We have been praying for this for a long time. I love my clients and appreciate getting calls almost everyday. Thank you to everyone for suggesting opening something on our own. We should open the end of august. :) Don't know how to tell my job. Kinda nervous about it. Apparantly the new groomer has little to no grooms booked yet my husband is booked until the end of july with a waiting list a mile long. Please continue to pray for us. Its a scary thing to open a shop.
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Replies (181-186):
FIMarriott
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM

My job cut my hours by 60% when I came back from maternity leave. I went to HR and asked to be laid off. I used that time to stay home with my baby. Can you groom at your home?

tonijustine
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM

FMLA does not apply to all employers. It does not apply to hers because they don't have enough employees to be subject to it. 

Quoting squint1222:

First off, FMLA known as the "Family Medical Leave Act" is a FEDERAL LAW that was signed into law by President Clinton in 1993 therefore it's the same in all states and it entitles you to 12 weeks of unpaid leave.  It can be used however you need to use it, doctors appts, by the hour, day, week, or large blocks of time until the 12 week limit is used up.  You need to fill out paperwork through your HR department tey cannot deny you this benefit and they cannot fire you for doing so it's against FEDERAL LAW.  Secondly, your employer is not required to hold the same position that you now fill for when you return to work, so basically they can put you in any position you are able or trained to do.  Thirdly, if you do indeed get terminated/fired for being pregnant that too is against the law, it called descrimination and that too is agains FEDERAL LAW. You can go to:

www.dol.gov/whd/fmla 

www.brighthub.com

both these sites will give you all the information as it pertains to your situation.  Good luck:)

HyperMom38
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Pardon me for making a reply your highness.  Next time I will check with you first to make sure its OK with you.  Have a nice day :)

Quoting Anonymous:

I replied about toxoplasmosis back on page 2. I don't need to be told about it. I know all about it and shared some useful info. 

Quoting HyperMom38:

Cats in certain areas of the country carry a disease called toxoplasmosis.  It is not dangerous normally- but it is a danger to an unborn fetus.  It is transferred in their feces and since they walk in litter and scratch the poop covered, it can be transferred through a scratch.  It can aslo be transferred by bites because they lick their behinds after going poop.  Yup, TMI, but you asked :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting blessedbyGod141:

I'm sorry. It's not fair, we can't get unemployment. We are not quitting, they are stopping us from working. There should be laws to protect us.

They are not stopping you from working, you are on bed rest, that is what is stopping you. Unfortunately, they have to replace you or would you prefer that they just closed while you are gone? They sent out the standard letter sounds like. Where I have worked when it came to FMLA they even clearly stated that they would hold a place of employment for me, but that it might be a different position. Perfectly legal. Doesn't sound like you are losing a job to me. Also, why couldn't you groom cats? lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Ugh...geez people always assume that someone is replying in bitchy way I guess. I guess saying I replied about it and that I know about toxo was a bitchy thing to do. I'll keep my info to myself from now on. At least in this crazy group. 

Quoting HyperMom38:

Pardon me for making a reply your highness.  Next time I will check with you first to make sure its OK with you.  Have a nice day :)

Quoting Anonymous:

I replied about toxoplasmosis back on page 2. I don't need to be told about it. I know all about it and shared some useful info. 

Quoting HyperMom38:

Cats in certain areas of the country carry a disease called toxoplasmosis.  It is not dangerous normally- but it is a danger to an unborn fetus.  It is transferred in their feces and since they walk in litter and scratch the poop covered, it can be transferred through a scratch.  It can aslo be transferred by bites because they lick their behinds after going poop.  Yup, TMI, but you asked :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting blessedbyGod141:

I'm sorry. It's not fair, we can't get unemployment. We are not quitting, they are stopping us from working. There should be laws to protect us.

They are not stopping you from working, you are on bed rest, that is what is stopping you. Unfortunately, they have to replace you or would you prefer that they just closed while you are gone? They sent out the standard letter sounds like. Where I have worked when it came to FMLA they even clearly stated that they would hold a place of employment for me, but that it might be a different position. Perfectly legal. Doesn't sound like you are losing a job to me. Also, why couldn't you groom cats? lol

dfcinnamon
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Good for you!! To me the company that you worked for was not so great.  You should try to open your own shop and take all of the business with you.  They don't deserve a good work like you.  You had a health issue and the way they treated you is a form of discrimanation.

CarolynC71
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Why not just make plans to open your own grooming business? It sounds like you have been doing it long enough that you could do the work on your own. Then maybe you could work at home or at least choose your own hours. And since your husband can do the work too then he can help out when needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN