Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We are an English speaking country. Learn the freaking language or don't try to talk to me! **Edited**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 416 Replies
41 moms liked this

Seriously, if I go to another country, I would expect to speak their language. Why should it be any different here?! How much freaking sense does it make for you to come to where I work and get mad at ME when I can't understand what you're asking for???? Then when I ask questions to try to make sense of your broken ramblings, you just stand there and stare at me with a blank expression like I can look at you and just guess what you want. Sheesh! Learn English or find an interpreter. I don't have time for this nonsense.

Rant over.

Edit: You can all drop the "Your ancestors imposed their language on the native Americans. I am Hawaiian. Hawaiians had English and Japanese imposed on them. So I speak English (which was imposed on my ancestors) and now that's not good enough. I have to speak every other freaking language too just in case I encounter someone who moved here from another country??? Um, no. It has to stop somewhere. There needs to be less accomodation and more adaptation.

Also, I realize there is no "official language". But there IS a primary language and it's English. The freaking President of the U.S. address the nation in English.

Finally, I don't care what other countries do. If you like their ways so much, go there.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gardengirl23
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM
22 moms liked this

May you one day find yourself stranded in a foreign country begging for help.  

VannaMae307
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM
8 moms liked this

Nolo comprende.

atyou
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM
6 moms liked this
You suck, dude.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't have an official language...

LawMom8308
3 moms liked this

OH MY GOSH this happens to me all the time. Where I work, we have a lot of spanish speaking people that come in. They just hand me their transaction and I'm like "What do you need with this?" They look at me like I'm stupid and tell me, "No hablo english". So I have to try to figure out what they need and they have to try to figure out how to let me know what they need........ it's really sad. We aren't ugly to each other but...I mean if you know you need something at least try to figure out how to say that in english so I can help you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this
There is no official language for this country technically.
AnnieMcD
15 moms liked this
The US does not have a national language. It's against the first amendment to enforce one. Freedom of speech doesn't mean "Freedom to say what you want, so long as it's in American" just like Freedom of religion doesn't mean "Free to be any branch of Christianity you like" ...
(And yes. American. We do not speak English, and if you'd like to argue that, ask anyone who comes from, you know, England.)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM
I agree 100%
kidlover2
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM
9 moms liked this
Question. Have you actually gone to another country? Most of them can and do speak English to you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Because I speak English and not broken foreignese?

Quoting atyou:

You suck, dude.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)