Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teach your kid not to stare.

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM
  • 215 Replies
1 mom liked this
I posted this in another group and no one responded. I am curious so here it is again. Last night we took our son out for his bday. He turned 4 yesterday. He had a severe bilateral cleft lip and palate and his nose is pretty big and flat. He is super cute! Anyway, there was 7 of us so we were at a table in the middle of booths on both sides. This little girl in one of the booths kept staring, our entire meal. When we were putting on our coats to leave it was really obvious and the dad realized that I noticed her gawking so he started kicking the bottom of her seat. He wasn't kicking her, but under her booth and giving her the evil eye. She was 7-9, old enough to have manners. I mean, I realize he looks a little different, look once twice if you must but STOP staring. Anyway, I almost bit my tongue off wanting to tell him " teach your kid some manners and instead of kicking her seat tell her to stp staring. It is rude." I was mad at myself when we got home because I really felt like I should have said something. What would you have done if you were me? Or the other parent?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slayerslegacy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM
13 moms liked this
I would have ignored it. People stare. 'Tis life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bear.katten
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Probably wouldnt have caused problems. I'm sure he just didnt want to call more attention to it by saying anything out loud, hence him kicking her seat...
audreesmama
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Neither of my kids are disabled or look different physically and still get stared at. We just ignore them and teach our kids to be better.
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

This. I probably would have said 'hi'... That's about it.

Quoting slayerslegacy:

KayelynnsMama
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:13 PM
5 moms liked this

One time I took my stepson and my little sister (5 and 6 years old at the time) grocery shopping. There was a man in a wheel chair that didn't have any legs. I heard the kids whispering and when I turned around they were POINTING at him. I was so mad. I got at their eye level right then and let them know that that was unacceptable and how would they feel if someone was pointing and laughing at them. I've never had a problem with it since then.

I agree that parents should teach their kids that it's rude. It's rude to stare whether someone is different or not. We'll go out to eat and the whole time a kids at a nearby table will be turned around in their seat just staring at our table. It's annoying. Makes me want to go over and tell the kid to stop myself.

Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:13 PM
5 moms liked this
I was taught to ""go ask you might learn something".
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM
This.
We get stares when we are out because I dress extremely modestly.
Adults, kids, it's a fact of life.
They are just curious.

Quoting slayerslegacy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM
24 moms liked this

I'm not going to stop my kids from looking at others who are different. I swear, no matter what happens, parents are not freakin' happy. If my child doens't run up to a child with disabilities and want to immediately play with them, or doesn't make eye contact or talk to them then I'm a bad parent because I'm teaching my children to not accept others. However, if my child takes a long look at someone who is different then they are staring and rude. Not every moment has to be a teachable one. When we are out to dinner, I tell my kids to pay attention to their own table and meal. If my oldest, who is 8, was staring, I would certainly tell her that she was being rude. Kids are curious. If you can't handle the looks that your child is going to get because his face is different then that is not my problem. Also, a severe bilateral clef lip and palate is not 'looking a little different' especially to a child who has never seen another child with a severe facial deformity. Sure, the kid was a little rude, but you need to grow thicker skin.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm sure she probably has never seen this before, she's a child for Christ's sakes get over it.
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM
3 moms liked this
Well, I teach my kids to treat everyone the same despite their differences. Honestly, instead of telling her not to be rude, I would have marched her over and introduced ourselves. Then she would see he is a kid enjoying his birthday, something she could certainly relate to.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)