Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son's friend died :(

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 91 Replies
I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do. Ds didn't have school today or yesterday. He told me on Wednesday that his friend hadn't been at school for a week and a half and he hoped he hadn't moved. Today, I got a recorded message from the school informing parents that a second grade student had died yesterday and they would have extra counselors at school on Monday. The principal just wanted to notify parents so they wouldn't be taken off guard if their child had questions.

I looked the story up online and sure enough, it was ds's friend. It's horrible. His mom had been stabbed multiple times and the little boy was sophicated by the step father. People had been reporting them missing so the police got a search warrant and found them at their house. The step father is nowhere to be found.

I haven't told ds. I will obviously spare him the details, but still, I don't even know how to go about telling him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Oh no... I'm so sorry!! (((((((hugs))))))))))

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Mcelly
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Omg, idk what to say. I'm sorry.
lipsmommy
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:53 PM

That's just so awful...

The best you can do is help him begin to understand what death is and be there for him. But yes spare the details for as long as necessary.

Hope everything goes well :(

bcoll
by Brandi on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I'm so sorry mama. I lost my best friend when we were teenagers and its not something you get over. I don't really know what to say other than keep letting him talk his feelings out.
kngarber
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:53 PM
That is horrible :'(
My3beautys
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:54 PM
I would set him down and tell him he isn't going to be seeing his friend anymore. He hasn't moved a way he went to heaven. He is probably going to ask why. I'd just spare the details and tell him you don't know why.
breebree04
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:54 PM

omg, I couldnt imagine having to tell my ds that one of his friends died. Im so sorry you have to do this, hope all goes well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
That poor mama and little guy.....I hope the stepdad rots for that. I feel for your son.....hug him tight, let him cry.....he'll always remember his friend. That's horrible. Give your ds a huge hug from me!
Mesha125
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Omg poor mommy and baby :( I don't know if u believe in God but last week a hs'er passed here and when my little ones saw the memorial I told them God called him to heaven because he needed a special Angel. At 5 and 7 I didn't really know what else to say. :-(
sarahbsquare
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM
2 moms liked this

he should hear it from you instead of everyone else so you can help him cope snce you are his mom and he is going to need you over all the counselers at the school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN