Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Telling Your Kids To "Play Sick/Crazy"...For Cash

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this

I hope I am "safe" with this post. In other words I hope it doesn't get tagged as racist because I do not know the vital statistics on the races using it. 

A few years ago my sister alerted me to a scam that has been going on since Welfare Reform was enacted. Quite literally, the street jargon of this scam is called "Crazy Checks." After parents were given a certain period of time in which they had to go to (*gulp*) work or lose their welfare checks, the crazy check idea was born. Parents teach their kids how to act crazy in the prescense of health professionals and get them on SSI. My sister teaches in a 90 percent minority school, and roughly 62 percent of the kids receive these checks. Sorry but I don't know a teacher who teaches in a 90 percent white shcool so I cannot give you figures to compare by race. The only plus side to this is that if the kids don't attend school, NO check for momma. So it has brought attendance way up. There are so many kids on it that they employ two full-time social workers from the State Welfare Office who office at the school itself. My sister said that there are families with two and three kids getting a "Crazy Check." The mother wouldn't even have to work with that kind of income (it's about $400 a month per child). I want to know how in the world our govt. could let a scam like this continue. I have a nephew who is autistic, he was taken to psychiatrists since he was 4 years old. My sil gave up rights when he was 18. I tried to get him on SSI twice and was turned down. So, I had tons of medical records on him and STILL got turned down, yet these women can get the whole family on the same program. 

This is absolutely absurd and women who have 3 and 4 kids getting a "crazy check" need to be brought under the microscope. I mean, what are the odds over HALF the kids in any particular low-income area public school are mentally or delayed? It just makes my blood boil, especially after struggling with a family member with mental illness who was turned down twice. If a politician promised to fix the SS scams he would have my vote auto. I also have 2 neighbors who draw 100% disability from SS. One of them, believe it or not, got on the dole years ago when that "flu" aka chronic fatigue syndrome was going around. Well most people I know who WORK, experience fatigue; she is out skipping with her two dogs several times a day, the picture of health. The other lady had one knee operation and claimed she was unable to work; she was turned down once then got an attorney and got on full disability. She owns a greyhound and also skips several times a day, or, I should say the dog walks HER. She gets around better than most. I have had pain from back surgery but I still work fulltime. I take care of my kids and keep food on the table all without handouts. I've learned to DEAL with it.

Edit-i was a bit confused with Munchausen definition 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:17 PM
My ex SIL has abused the system for 15 years-3 kids. Every kid gets this check. One child IS mentally disabled (her mom went into labor while dropping acid in the woods behind the highschool, tripped over a branch and fell, creating serious issues at birth). The other two are completely fine. She brainwashed them as toddlers to act nuts. She is white, btw.
blues_pagan
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:19 PM
2 moms liked this

This isn't munchausen by proxy.  That is an actual mental disorder where a parent (usually the mother) intentionally makes a child sick (like inducing vomiting with epicac or making them go through unnecessary procedures) so that they can reap the benefits of getting attention from medical professionals and family.

This is just fraud plain and simple.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Anyway, I've always heard the best way to get a check is to say you have fibromyalgia, the new "illness" of the day. People used to go with "nerve problems", but fibromyalgia is the new catch phrase & the "symptoms" of it are even more vague than any mental illness known to man, so it works much better than just saying you're depressed. The fact that the medical community doesn't have their shit together well enough to classify fibromyalgia as a disease or a disorder means that the people at the Social Security Administration & the courts can't really question whether you're really sick or not. They just have to take your doctor's word for it. All you need to do is go to a doctor and complain of fatigue, generalized pain and and overall crappy feeling. If this does not work just keep whining until they diagnose you. Make sure you get an unethical doctor (and there's no shortage of those) who'll tell you & the courts whatever they want to hear. Then you say "doing stuff makes me tired, give me some money and/or drugs".

Then just wait a few months, & voila! Your check will be deposited directly into your checking account or delivered right to your door, which ever one is the most convenient for you."If my son does bad enough on that standardized test at school, I might be able to get another Crazy Check!! Glory Hallelujah!!"

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:30 PM

If there are environmental issues, LOTS of kids could be affected

Quote:

I mean, what are the odds over HALF the kids in any particular low-income area public school are mentally or delayed? 

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM
This . Im a child of munchausen by proxy, I assure you its different.

And I don't know. My ex and his ex wife are white and did the same thing. She got kicked out of the projects lost her 1k in stamps lost Medicaid (except the kids) and is facing 2 years in jail for fraud... and she STILL sits on her gigantic ass snorting xanax she bought with her kids ssi checks. They gey 694.00 EACH by the way.

Quoting blues_pagan:

This isn't munchausen by proxy.  That is an actual mental disorder where a parent (usually the mother) intentionally makes a child sick (like inducing vomiting with epicac or making them go through unnecessary procedures) so that they can reap the benefits of getting attention from medical professionals and family.

This is just fraud plain and simple.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Learning disabilities are not caused by economic disadvantage, 'environmental factors, or cultural differences.' In fact, there is frequently no apparent cause for learning disabilities.

aodom323
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM

God I can't stand people who do that. It gives people that don't abuse it and really do need i a bad name.  My father isn't even on full disability and he has had 3 back surgeries.  He can not work and I think gets like 75% I'm not sure. He has had to go to physical therapy more times than I can count and he is a Veteran. He has walked around on a cane for a few years and he is only 57.  He has a bunch of medical bills and he tried to get medicare to pay for them but he got turned down like 3 times.  Like I said he can't work so he has also tried to get food stamps, so you know he can eat.  Wanna know how much they gave my disabled veteran father....$16 a month... WTF.  This system is so screwed up and they need to crack down and try to find those that are scamming.  

spotsmom
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Um, how does a teaher know what kind of assistence the parents of her students receive?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:03 PM

You are ignorant and you need to stop thinking you know what these conditions are. Fibromyalgia is very real. It's not mental. It is very physical. I deal with it every single day.  There are tests for it. Do your homework

Quoting Anonymous:

Anyway, I've always heard the best way to get a check is to say you have fibromyalgia, the new "illness" of the day. People used to go with "nerve problems", but fibromyalgia is the new catch phrase & the "symptoms" of it are even more vague than any mental illness known to man, so it works much better than just saying you're depressed. The fact that the medical community doesn't have their shit together well enough to classify fibromyalgia as a disease or a disorder means that the people at the Social Security Administration & the courts can't really question whether you're really sick or not. They just have to take your doctor's word for it. All you need to do is go to a doctor and complain of fatigue, generalized pain and and overall crappy feeling. If this does not work just keep whining until they diagnose you. Make sure you get an unethical doctor (and there's no shortage of those) who'll tell you & the courts whatever they want to hear. Then you say "doing stuff makes me tired, give me some money and/or drugs".

Then just wait a few months, & voila! Your check will be deposited directly into your checking account or delivered right to your door, which ever one is the most convenient for you."If my son does bad enough on that standardized test at school, I might be able to get another Crazy Check!! Glory Hallelujah!!"

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

A study team evaluation is often done by the school. The child's file includes teacher questionnaires filled out by teachers and counselors

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)