Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

None of that processed $h**.......

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM
  • 44 Replies

I am just curious.....for those who always say wow that is a lot of processed shit when someone posts a pic of their cart....what do you generally buy and cook at home? What does your grocery cart usually look like, how much do you spend, and how many people do you feed?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kbutton24
by Mrs.Sima on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:58 PM
I buy mostly all whole food. Fruits, veggies, meat, and dairy. I spend between 50 and 70 per week for SO, DD and I. (I make all of DD's food)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VannaMae307
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I spend about $200 a month at the farmer market on just produce and eggs

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I buy ingredients for meals, nothing premade....meats, veggies, fruits, spices, flours, eggs, dairy (or whole grains when I can get them to make my own flours). I make everything from scratch (pasta, bread, sauces, condiments,yogurts,  even some cheese on occasion etc)

I feed a family of 5(2 adults, 3 boys 11, 9 and 6) on $150 a week and that includes budget for dog food for 3 dogs and household goods too.

spicy_n_sweet
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I buy fresh whole foods.  Fresh produce, fresh dairy, fresh meats.  I very rarely buy anything canned, boxed or frozen. On occasion I will buy boxed pasta instead of fresh but that's only if I didn't buy fresh that day. Even breads I buy fresh from a local bakery instead of packaged breads.

I  also shop every 2-3 days, that's not something that everyone has the ability to do.   I spend $600-$900 per month for 3 people in 2 homes ( I buy food for my son's apartment as well).

Luna091306
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM

How do you make all that from scratch? We eat pretty healthy when it's just dh, dd, and I but when dh's 4 kids come over it takes a LOT to fill them up and they are picky about what they eat. I'm always at a loss as to what to buy.

Quoting SuperPickle:

I buy ingredients for meals, nothing premade....meats, veggies, fruits, spices, flours, eggs, dairy (or whole grains when I can get them to make my own flours). I make everything from scratch (pasta, bread, sauces, condiments,yogurts,  even some cheese on occasion etc)

I feed a family of 5(2 adults, 3 boys 11, 9 and 6) on $150 a week and that includes budget for dog food for 3 dogs and household goods too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Omg 50-70$ that's awesome! Do u adults eat small portions or what?

Quoting kbutton24:

I buy mostly all whole food. Fruits, veggies, meat, and dairy. I spend between 50 and 70 per week for SO, DD and I. (I make all of DD's food)

kbutton24
by Mrs.Sima on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Nope, I've just gotten really good at finding the sales and budgeting since I left my job to stay home with DD. we spend even less in the summer between our garden and farmers markets. I'm working from home now, but it's nice to be able to put the extra money in savings. It's the processed food that really costs more. We've saved SO much money since I started making everything from scratch. Snacks included.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kbutton24:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luna091306
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Or farmer's market doesn't open until April. :/ Is it generally cheaper than at a grocery store?

Quoting VannaMae307:

I spend about $200 a month at the farmer market on just produce and eggs

Luna091306
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I want to do that so badly but I need some appliances and I'm not even sure how to get started. I don't even own a mixer.

Quoting kbutton24:

Nope, I've just gotten really good at finding the sales and budgeting since I left my job to stay home with DD. we spend even less in the summer between our garden and farmers markets. I'm working from home now, but it's nice to be able to put the extra money in savings. It's the processed food that really costs more. We've saved SO much money since I started making everything from scratch. Snacks included.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kbutton24:

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM

My kitchenaid is a big help LOL...bread dough is super easy in there, and my pasta attachments allow me to whip out a batch of fresh pasta in the time it takes to boil boxed stuff.

As for picky....I just dont allow it. Dont want to eat? fine, but that is what we have and there are no alternatives. Filling them up with the right foods is important. Whole foods fill you up with far less. Processed foods have lots of fillers and chemicals that really make you still feel hungry even if you have had enough to eat.

We exercise portion control , make sure they are getting good proteins, healthy fats and carbs ETC.  If they are still hungry after a meal is finished , they are allowed as many veggies as they like. 

Quoting Luna091306:

How do you make all that from scratch? We eat pretty healthy when it's just dh, dd, and I but when dh's 4 kids come over it takes a LOT to fill them up and they are picky about what they eat. I'm always at a loss as to what to buy.

Quoting SuperPickle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN