Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

PADRE ISLAND TEXAS

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

Anyone live on or near or been to Padre Island in Texas???

Its funny, I have been all over the country except for a select few states, ive been in texas but didn't really get a good taste of it ya know?  

In my travels I always believed and was reassured the nicest people lived in Nebraska.  Everyone says hello to everyone, everyone is everyones friend, whats yours is mine kind of attitude everywhere you go.

My dad just got back from a two week vacation in Texas he said two things that struck me...

#1) Oh God Matriarch, I used to think the nicest people lived in Nebraska, *shakes his head in shame* the nicest people are in Texas.  If you thought Nebraskans were nice, wait'll you stay in Texas a while.  

#2) You probably shouldn't go though, I know you and if you went to Padre Island you would never come back!

We have an emotional tie to Padre Island, I know its known for Spring Breakers but my dad has wanted to go there for a long time.  My grandfather loved Padre Island and would camp on the beach for months at a time, basically just living out there until he decided to come back to Nebraska.  He was always kind of a gypsy.  A couple years ago he came back to Nebraska from Padre Island just long enough to say goodbye he passed away.  Ever sense we all, especially my dad have wanted to see what it was about that place that had my grandfather so smitten.  

So anyone who is personally familiar with it, I would like your opinion.  

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM

BUMP!

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM

BUMP!

CjEmmemommy
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

We dont live in that area of Texas but we moved here a couple years ago from Colorado. It was a huge adjustment for me not having my family, the mountains and beautiful weather back home but I kept telling myself the positves. Awesome neighbors was top of the list. Very nice people here but its funny bc none of them where from Texas orginally;-) The economy is really great as well and the area is super safe.

It def has its charm and I can see why people like it, I just cant handle the heat or at least I dont like too:-)

KeriAZ
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM
No idea but my parents live in Rockport, TX. I'm moving there. Prolly within the month. Landlord is being a dick and may evict us.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
I_need_a_name
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM
South padre can get a little crazy during spring break lol. But yes..Texas is pretty friendly. Lol. Even while driving people wVe at eachother even though they dont know eachother lol. I do it all the time and dh just shakes his head lol. (Hes from California).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
I_need_a_name
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Ive been in Texas my whole life and I cant handle the heat lol. Im not a sun person. Id rather be cold then hot lol. But I still wouldn't move anywhere else.

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

We dont live in that area of Texas but we moved here a couple years ago from Colorado. It was a huge adjustment for me not having my family, the mountains and beautiful weather back home but I kept telling myself the positves. Awesome neighbors was top of the list. Very nice people here but its funny bc none of them where from Texas orginally;-) The economy is really great as well and the area is super safe.

It def has its charm and I can see why people like it, I just cant handle the heat or at least I dont like too:-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Thats how it is in Nebraska too, everyone on the roads do the one finger wave or the head nod to everyone passing by.  They were there over spring break! lol, but said they never went south and stayed north because of the spring breakers.  

Quoting I_need_a_name:

South padre can get a little crazy during spring break lol. But yes..Texas is pretty friendly. Lol. Even while driving people wVe at eachother even though they dont know eachother lol. I do it all the time and dh just shakes his head lol. (Hes from California).

destiny2nv
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in Houston, dh is from padre island. We visit his family often. I love it there. Your dad is right lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM
I have been twice I love it. I have some friends who live down there now so I may be making the trip this summer. But idk if I am brave enough to make the 7 hour drive by myself with the kids. Might have to convince dh to take vacation lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamamama00
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I've lived in TX my whole life, and I despise TX beaches. The water sucks. The jellyfish are horrid. There is oil all over the place and the tar sticks to your skin. I know Padre has grown a LOT lately, so it could be better. I think they even put in a Schlitterbahn down there? I would go for the atmosphere, but definitely not the water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN