Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can someone please explain the income comparison to me please?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

The university in my town has its food service workers on strike. They are holding signs like "Dr. So-and-so (their boss) makes $140,000 and I make $17,000. How is that fair?"

Dr. So-and-so obviously has a phd and food service workers might have a high school diploma. Wouldn't it make sense for their to be a huge income gap?

Do you believe we should have income equality? Why wouldn't someone with more education be qualified to make more money?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:52 PM
2 moms liked this
They should be. If I went to school for 10 years I'd better be making a bunch of money. They should have went to college if they wanted to make the same as someone who did.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM
2 moms liked this
If they wanted that income they should have picked a different career.
rebeccarae
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this
This.
Bitterness at the finest.

Quoting nocalmegan:

They should be. If I went to school for 10 years I'd better be making a bunch of money. They should have went to college if they wanted to make the same as someone who did.

VannaMae307
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM

lol....there is no comparison. That is laughable, at best.

GigantaursMommy
by MrsAwesomePants on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I'm also willing to bet the Dr. So-and-so works more hours with less help around than the food service workers. Not to say they aren't doing an important job too making sure everyone is fed but they are just cooking food anyone could do that job, there are a lot less people qualified to be Dr.So-and-so.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM
I don't think their asking for equal pay. They want decent pay. $17k isn't shit. I read that completely different than how you interpreted it. How long have they been making that same wage? What's their raise and benefits look like?

It's about not bring taken advantage of.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Dumb. And people say the same thing when talking about the pay difference between enlisted and officers. I don't get it.

m0m23b0ys458
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:58 PM

This.

Quoting VannaMae307:

lol....there is no comparison. That is laughable, at best.

CafeMom Tickers
Fullmoon_Goddes
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM
My goodness no...this isn't Stalin's USSR.

I'd say to those protesters, "Go to school, be creative, be tenacious and work in a different profession."

Good grief...I would not expect a doctor and a food service worker to earn the same amount of money.
poietes
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM
I agree anout the decent pay. But to compare or even mention a professor's salary is asinine. They completely hurt their cause by saying that and makes them sound nothing but entitled and jealous.

Quoting LyTe684:

I don't think their asking for equal pay. They want decent pay. $17k isn't shit. I read that completely different than how you interpreted it. How long have they been making that same wage? What's their raise and benefits look like?

It's about not bring taken advantage of.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN