Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Penis Issues, moms of uncirc boys or boys (age 5+) that have had issues get in here TMI for some

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM
  • 116 Replies

I debated going anon for this but decided not to....

You always hear the horror stories of circumcision...  Never really about those that aren't circ'd.....  Well, I took DS who is 5 to his physical today.  The doc said that he has this thing called Phimosis...  

Basically what happened is the foreskin grew around the penis.  I was always told to allow the penis to retract on its own and to never force it.  A year ago the doc told us that he had to start to try to retract it but it wasn't a big deal.  So, my dh said he was on it and "taught" him how to do it.  I thought all was good, they've talked about it quite a bit and never in my life thought there was an issue.  I never really paid attention to the plumbing down there... (I mean who inspects their 5 year old's penis??).  

So, they gave him a steroid cream to put on it for a month hoping that it will thin out the skin thus preventing surgery.  If the skin is forced to retract at this point it might get "caught" thus causing an emergency circumcision.  If it doesn't work in 4 weeks we go see a urologist and will probably have to get him circumcised :(  

Has anyone ever had issues with your son's penis like this?  Anyone ever had to have their son get a childhood circumsion?  Please give me thoughts and advice on this one.....  

You know you want it

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:09 PM

bump..

audreesmama
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM
2 moms liked this
I've heard of it. The steroid cream will help, and circumcision might happen.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phimosis#section_3 the cream is highly effective and is preferred in many countries over circumcision.

Btw--it's intact, not uncircumcised :-).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Girl pm me asap
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by Jenn on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Sorry, idk. DS was circumcised as a baby. Here's a bump.

Luna091306
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM

My ds isn't circumcised by he is only 9 months old. No issues so far. His three older brothers are also intact but have had no issues. Sorry I'm no help. Here is a bump though.

milfanyway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:12 PM
My brother had this happen. He remembers it. Not a pleasant memory.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.thatsme.
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Bump. But I just learned about Phimosis in med terms. Hope all goes well with your little one! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTE11
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Bump so you can maybe get help!

.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Please don't say that :(  I'm so sad this happened.  I literally had no freaking idea.  I didn't know and he has gone to all his apointments, never late.  In fact, this one was 6 months early cause he needed cleareance for 1st grade 

Quoting milfanyway:

My brother had this happen. He remembers it. Not a pleasant memory.

You know you want it

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM
11 moms liked this

Find a different doctor. Phimosis cannot be diagnosed until an adult. Your son could take up to puberty before he's fully retractable. As long as he can pee he is fine!

Here's some info about it.

http://menshealth.about.com/cs/embarrassments/a/phimosis.htm

Quote:

Most infants are born with a foreskin that cannot be retracted and the prepuce may be tight until after puberty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)