Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i dont understand it.. why would you just leave your kid??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I watch kids in my home. I have been watching kids in my home for about a year. But have watched kids since I was 13. I'm 25 now...... Anyway I have 5 kids in my care. Out of 5 only one has ask me for a reference... Only 1!!!! And noone has ask for a back ground check. Or any thing!!! That's just crazy.. I have a add on craigslist for childcare. Last night I got a call and they immediately hired me. They just dropped her off without even doing a interview! And paid a week in advance!! Smh
I am not licensed. It states that I am not in my ad!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Wow. The one person I had watch my son that I didn't personally know for years came highly recomended by a good friend of mine. We also sat down and did and interview with her way in advance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:52 AM
The new parents don't even know my last name.. no joke they did not even ask..

Quoting Anonymous:

All they need is your name and address to run a background check.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Even if its a rental?

Quoting Anonymous:

Thats public information. If you look up an address, it'll tell who the residents are that occupy that property. Its public info.

Quoting Anonymous:

No they did not have my name!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe they already did run an online check before meeting you and you just don't know it. They obviously knew enough about you to know your name and where you live, so it would be an easy Google search after that. They wouldn't have to meet you in person to check on you (or anyone else nowadays really).

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM
My mom and grandma is the only ones who have ever had my kid overnight and my fil for a few hours!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow. The one person I had watch my son that I didn't personally know for years came highly recomended by a good friend of mine. We also sat down and did and interview with her way in advance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:56 AM
I really highly doubt they did and checks..

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah, I know its scary.

Thats why you need to be careful with online purchases and social media, etc, because you don't realize how much info is out there that has slipped thru the cracks.  Google yourself, you might be surpised.

I'm not saying these people did that effort, but I'm just saying its possible. And yes I do agree its stupid to be overly trusting nowadays

Quoting Anonymous:

Even if its a rental?

Quoting Anonymous:

Thats public information. If you look up an address, it'll tell who the residents are that occupy that property. Its public info.

Quoting Anonymous:

No they did not have my name!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe they already did run an online check before meeting you and you just don't know it. They obviously knew enough about you to know your name and where you live, so it would be an easy Google search after that. They wouldn't have to meet you in person to check on you (or anyone else nowadays really).

Kmary
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Well as usual, I'm going to be the dissenting voice.  I think the not checking out your home and maybe references is odd, but I'm going to be honest:  I think background checks are useless. First off,  If you had something obvious on a record that would show up on a background check, then you probably wouldn't be in business to begin with.  Second, background checks only protect us from people who've been caught.  I remember someone talking about this fact concerning sex offenders.  They were saying something about how everyone goes nuts avoiding living near registered sex offenders, but that the ones on the registry following the rules of it are probably not the ones to worry about.  It's the ones who haven't been caught yet or don't check in like they're supposed to and report their addresses (and thus, wouldn't have up to date registry info) that we should worry about. 

And there's nothing wrong with using one's instinct!  My friend recently pulled her dd from an in home care because it just didn't "feel" right.  This woman had a very clean home, a friendly rapport and a clear background check, but she started saying weird things about her desperation for having her own child and how she just loved my friend's dd.   It started to feel uncomfortable, so she switched sitters.  When she spoke with other people who'd used her, they'd gotten the same strange vibe.  A background check can't always catch crazy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Always trust your gut.. but when it comes to our kids I think they should seat come to my home and check references!

Quoting Kmary:

Well as usual, I'm going to be the dissenting voice.  I think the not checking out your home and maybe references is odd, but I'm going to be honest:  I think background checks are useless. First off,  If you had something obvious on a record that would show up on a background check, then you probably wouldn't be in business to begin with.  Second, background checks only protect us from people who've been caught.  I remember someone talking about this fact concerning sex offenders.  They were saying something about how everyone goes nuts avoiding living near registered sex offenders, but that the ones on the registry following the rules of it are probably not the ones to worry about.  It's the ones who haven't been caught yet or don't check in like they're supposed to and report their addresses (and thus, wouldn't have up to date registry info) that we should worry about. 

And there's nothing wrong with using one's instinct!  My friend recently pulled her dd from an in home care because it just didn't "feel" right.  This woman had a very clean home, a friendly rapport and a clear background check, but she started saying weird things about her desperation for having her own child and how she just loved my friend's dd.   It started to feel uncomfortable, so she switched sitters.  When she spoke with other people who'd used her, they'd gotten the same strange vibe.  A background check can't always catch crazy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I met some CRAZY ass sitters when I was searching before I worked from home. I always did interviews. Here are some of the things I found out even after interviews, once my children were in their care:

1) Time out in the closet. My children didn't get the time out there, but another child did. 

2) I couldn't be late. Not even five minutes because ALL the daycare kids HAD to be OUT of her home BEFORE her husband came home from work, which made my kids seem like an inconvenience for her because I didnt' get off work until 6pm.

3) Mandatory naptimes. Even if they didn't nap she actively tried to MAKE them nap. 

4) Overcrowded. She kept brining more and more babies into her care.

5) Boyfriend was a drug dealer/addict and he was considering moving in with her. 

6) She went into labor and as opposed to just calling me to tell me, she had her relatives watch my kids for the entire day. She also asked if it was ok that they watch my kids for the next week!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Holy crap that's freaking crazy!!!!!
My parents are late a lot. Time out is in a chair in the corner.

Quoting Anonymous:

I met some CRAZY ass sitters when I was searching before I worked from home. I always did interviews. Here are some of the things I found out even after interviews, once my children were in their care:

1) Time out in the closet. My children didn't get the time out there, but another child did. 

2) I couldn't be late. Not even five minutes because ALL the daycare kids HAD to be OUT of her home BEFORE her husband came home from work, which made my kids seem like an inconvenience for her because I didnt' get off work until 6pm.

3) Mandatory naptimes. Even if they didn't nap she actively tried to MAKE them nap. 

4) Overcrowded. She kept brining more and more babies into her care.

5) Boyfriend was a drug dealer/addict and he was considering moving in with her. 

6) She went into labor and as opposed to just calling me to tell me, she had her relatives watch my kids for the entire day. She also asked if it was ok that they watch my kids for the next week!

LadyF86
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:12 AM
We interviewed first. I also had my mom do background checks. I found them on the state website and assured they were licensed and so were their homes. I also asked for references. The first girl was like.... ya I could totally give u references but I don't know why people ask for them. Obviously I'm going to give I someone that will give me a good reference. ..... ya we didn't hire her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anyone elese think that's nuts?? They did not even come out and meet me.. the dad dropped her off. The mom will pi,k her up
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured