Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
question ladies, is a swab of vinegar in the cheek, just enough for the bad taste, when a child swears abuse?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Replies (21-30):
colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:26 AM
its the same

Quoting Anonymous:

Why on the cheek why not on the tongue that seems like it would be more effective.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Good to know I have a 12 yr old if he starts getting disrespectful and mouthy vinegar sounds a lot better than the smacks in the mouth I used to get as a teenager.

Quoting colins_mom:

its the same

Quoting Anonymous:

Why on the cheek why not on the tongue that seems like it would be more effective.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Not abuse but poor parenting IMO.

colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:34 AM
worked quite well for my son. he has only swore twice since I started this. I could tell him.till I was blue in the face that certain words were bad and he shouldn't use them etc but daddy uses them so it must be ok (and since I cant tell my ex what to do) used the vinegar once and words.his dad uses havent been heard since. he used one he heard at school, vinegar, never again

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

Not abuse but probably not effective or necessary. 

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I can tell you that when he gets older and you can't force the vinegar, it won't deter him. He needs to learn not to cuss or be inappropriate because its the right thing to do not because he fears the vinegar. Once the fear of the vinegar is gone, it won't be a deterent anymore. You can tell me any justification you want but I have raised three kids to teenagers. They don't cuss because they think it is trashy not because they are afraid of what I will do to them. 

Quoting colins_mom:

worked quite well for my son. he has only swore twice since I started this. I could tell him.till I was blue in the face that certain words were bad and he shouldn't use them etc but daddy uses them so it must be ok (and since I cant tell my ex what to do) used the vinegar once and words.his dad uses havent been heard since. he used one he heard at school, vinegar, never again

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:51 AM
well I.see mo.difference in this and time outs.

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

I can tell you that when he gets older and you can't force the vinegar, it won't deter him. He needs to learn not to cuss or be inappropriate because its the right thing to do not because he fears the vinegar. Once the fear of the vinegar is gone, it won't be a deterent anymore. You can tell me any justification you want but I have raised three kids to teenagers. They don't cuss because they think it is trashy not because they are afraid of what I will do to them. 

Quoting colins_mom:

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Same here hot sauce would be the same way lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Wouldn't work with my kid. He likes the taste.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I was never much into physical punishments because a time will come when they are bigger and stronger than you, or when physical force will be met with a fight, and thats just a road I'd rather not have faced.

but i would imagine that a "swap" of vinegar wouldn't be too bad. 

My son probably would have loved it, he drinks pickle juice and eats raw onions regularly.

fallenangel_353
by Nikki on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Well im still old school and make mine bite soap when they get potty mouths ( i dont make them eat it lol, im not that bad, but i do make them bite, and then theyre allowed to spit it out and clean their mouths out) :/ I've never tried vinegar but it's pretty much the same method i use just a different product lol. Id say no it is not abuse...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Whats wrong with using vinager as long as your not making them DRINK it or something? Not that I've used this particular punishment. But I dont see anything wrong with it. Hell vinager has many uses health wise.

Id rather hear about a parent using this than say using a belt or something on their child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)