Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Child-led" anything is a crock of BS..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

YOU are the leader in your house, not the child....child led this, child led that...what a crock of shit

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Replies (251-254):
ChloeDolce1
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:01 PM
I'm fine with letting them an encouraging them to make choices. If my daughter wants to wear a tutu over her clothes everyday fine. If my son would rather have a peanut butter sandwich for lunch instead of soup fine. But children also need rules and structure. I witnessed my sil tell her son to pick up his toys to which his response was " no I don't want to". Her reaction? She said "ok" and she did it for him. He's almost 8. My kids are 3 and 5 and that shut wouldn't fly with me. If I tell you to do something you do it. My 3 yr old knows enough to say "can I have juice please". Her 8 yr old says "get me juice now" and she drops everything and gets it for him because she doesn't want him to get upset. Choices and a voice are fine. They need to learn to be their own person yea. But being rude and disrespectful wont be tolerated in my house. I'm the parent I'm the boss. Anyone who lets a child run them is setting their own kids up for disaster later in life. Kids who are brats turn in to adults who are assholes.

Quoting iuangina:

Children will be more obedient when you give them some choices. There are some things that are non-negotiable, but why should I spank my kid for wanting to Wear a crazy outfit or not wanting to potty train.

My child does not run our house but he does have choices that make him feel like he has some say in our lives.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sapphire.Tears
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

This.

I agree 100%.

My parents and grandparents spoil the hell out of DS and let him have his way with EVERYTHING, when he comes back from a day at their houses, he is a freakin monster!

Quoting Anonymous:

Just my opinion, but there are VERY FEW instances where the child should be able to make the decions for themselves. Helping pick what they want to eat, Helping pick what clothes they wear, what movies they want to watch, etc.  Major decisions are ALWAYS up to the parents though. 

If you let your child have too much control - they turn into spoiled rotten brats who wont listen to anyone.

iuangina
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM
That's not child led...that's lazy parenting.

Quoting ChloeDolce1:

I'm fine with letting them an encouraging them to make choices. If my daughter wants to wear a tutu over her clothes everyday fine. If my son would rather have a peanut butter sandwich for lunch instead of soup fine. But children also need rules and structure. I witnessed my sil tell her son to pick up his toys to which his response was " no I don't want to". Her reaction? She said "ok" and she did it for him. He's almost 8. My kids are 3 and 5 and that shut wouldn't fly with me. If I tell you to do something you do it. My 3 yr old knows enough to say "can I have juice please". Her 8 yr old says "get me juice now" and she drops everything and gets it for him because she doesn't want him to get upset. Choices and a voice are fine. They need to learn to be their own person yea. But being rude and disrespectful wont be tolerated in my house. I'm the parent I'm the boss. Anyone who lets a child run them is setting their own kids up for disaster later in life. Kids who are brats turn in to adults who are assholes.

Quoting iuangina:

Children will be more obedient when you give them some choices. There are some things that are non-negotiable, but why should I spank my kid for wanting to Wear a crazy outfit or not wanting to potty train.

My child does not run our house but he does have choices that make him feel like he has some say in our lives.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bellarose0212
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Yeah, see, that sounds like total permissive parenting. That's not what we're talking about when we talk about "child-led" or "baby-led" approaches.

Quoting ChloeDolce1:

Quoting iuangina:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured