Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Shopping at Aldi

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:47 AM
  • 54 Replies
There is a brand new Aldi about 20 min from my house. My question is how much can I save vs shopping at the regular grocery store? Milk is 1/2 price at $1.50 compared to $3
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM

they have some good deals, how far away is your regular store? figure time, gas, area in general. stores put further away from cities tend to be more expensive because they have no competition. i would make a list and compare UNIT prices. never want to compare the basic price tag, check the orange sticker that tells you price per unit..

atyou
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Probably a significant amount.

That being said.....I am not a fan of aldi's.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
raefmom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Aldi's is closer than our other stores. I don't know if it is our store or what. But the produce we bought went bad quickly-in 3 days quick. Now we are only going to buy frozen food, milk and pre-packaged items. Produce only if it will be used the night we buy it or the next day. Overall it has been a good deal minus that. 

IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I've never been to Aldi's.. I can be a snob sometimes when it comes to food, although I know that some people swear by it.

I like Price Chopper.. with the advantage card, once you get on the rotation of their sales it's awesome. We usually save at least 50-60 every shopping trip, plus earn the gas points :).

I shop at Wegman's when I'm feeling rich and fancy haha.

Omd12
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Closest store is 5 min away
It's market basket there are about 10 in a 5 mile radius. I hate their produce.

Hannaford is more expensive and equally as close

Aldi is in the next biggest city to us.

I bough oranges, grapes and apples we ate them all before they went bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Omd12
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:00 AM
We don't have wegmans or price chopper ;(

North of Boston is market basket and hannaford

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

I've never been to Aldi's.. I can be a snob sometimes when it comes to food, although I know that some people swear by it.

I like Price Chopper.. with the advantage card, once you get on the rotation of their sales it's awesome. We usually save at least 50-60 every shopping trip, plus earn the gas points :).

I shop at Wegman's when I'm feeling rich and fancy haha.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamoore83
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM
We actually had the milk sour before it expired from there twice. I love aldies though

Quoting raefmom:

Aldi's is closer than our other stores. I don't know if it is our store or what. But the produce we bought went bad quickly-in 3 days quick. Now we are only going to buy frozen food, milk and pre-packaged items. Produce only if it will be used the night we buy it or the next day. Overall it has been a good deal minus that. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommajenn4684
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM
In aldis you have to watch the dates on everything. We have had bad luck with produce every time we have gone recently. Produce goes bad within days. We stick with breads which we freeze, meats to be frozen, freezer items and boxed items but not before checking dates.
kellysparkles
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I could spend $100 and my kitchen is stocked for 3 weeks. I miss having an Aldi near me.

I never buy meat there, though. I go to the big-name grocer or the butcher for that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ksueditz
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I shop Aldi's once a month. I spend about $200. That fills 2 carts to overflowing. (Our Aldi's is 45 minutes away). I don't buy fresh meat there, unless a sale, b/c it's cheaper at Fareway. If I were to buy the same items at MY local grocery store, I would spend about $500.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)