Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My pediatrician told me to use vinegar..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies
To forcefully wean my 13 month old. She was doing our new patient exam and asked if DD was still on the "bottle," I told her "no, she is breast fed and still nurses though." The pedi responded with, "well you know., you can break her real quick with vinegar." I was REALLY confused and said, "what do you mean?" And she replied, "you can get her to weak by putting vinegar in your bra.."

I am not weaning, btw. I have no idea why she felt it was necessary to offer that advice. Haha

My husband and I were pretty appalled at her unwanted and quite frankly abusive advice.

Has your pediatrician ever given you ridiculous advice? Something that made you wonder what cracker jack box they got their medical degree from?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaffedrikke
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM
I tried the lemon juice trick on my daughter but shesobved so I washed it off and nursed for another danged year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheDoctorsWife
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM
3 moms liked this
Maybe she just thought you wanted to wean? Why be appalled? Just because the advice was given doesn't mean you have to take it
mariesmama
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM

antibiotics that screwed up my daughters system so she couldnt digest cheese for viral bronchitis

truelyred2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM
um I'd find a new doctor for sure. my baby is over 15 months old and in not weaning either and my pedi would never even think of suggesting something so stupid.
then I'd report her
notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM
2 moms liked this

unwanted sure, abusive no

anyway not that i recall.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM
3 moms liked this
She's a doctor not your personal opinion advocate.

If you're appalled by that get a new doctor.
GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM
8 moms liked this
You know vinegar is edible. It will just taste nasty not harm her. Way to be a drama queen sweet cheeks
GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM
11 moms liked this
I find you willing to report that hilarious.

Quoting truelyred2:

um I'd find a new doctor for sure. my baby is over 15 months old and in not weaning either and my pedi would never even think of suggesting something so stupid.

then I'd report her

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM

No my ped was all for breastfeeding for the first two years. Unfortunately my kids had other plans and weaned themselves a little after a year. 

NowImAMom...
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I'd be switching doctor's. Sudden weaning at any point is unheallthy and could lead to mastitis....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)