Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Irresponsible or a different time?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM
  • 49 Replies
I remember walking down the road to my friends house, playing at the park and skating around the block when I was 6... all unchaperoned. Now, I wouldn't so much as let my 6 year old daughter play in the front yard without me. Is she incredibly immature, were my parents irresponsible, or have times changed just that much?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Sadly, times have changed that much.  I'm in my 50s and I remember how different things were "back when."

CatFishMom
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Times. It's the time. I used to run around our neighborhood all the time as a child and now Im in the same boat as you. It's not my kid I dont trust, it's the rest of this dangerous world.

ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't know if times have changed that much, or if it's a smaller world now with the invention of the internet and multiple news sources and media styles.  you can get a newspaper from any town in the world, and most newscasters report on much more global events, and many more nationwide events, than previously where they mostly focused on local events so you didn't know (or care, at the time) what was happening halfway across the country.

gigis1
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Times have changed, I was trusted outside with neighbors at 2yo.. I would never let my 2yo do that
RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Times have definitely changed.
lauraschatz
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM
3 moms liked this
I think we are just very hyper aware of the dangers these days. I mean when we were kids you had to pick up a newspaper or.watch the news to hear about the bad things that happen to kids. That stuff is coing at us from EVERY direction these days. Plus people talk about things now that were more.or.less swept under the carpet back then. Things like molestation and incest were hush hush because people were uneducated and victims were blamed. The creepers were always out there. It's.just that these days we are inundated with it from the internet and media.
I don't think it's as much more danger as it is more awareness.
Ayla-bellesmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM
6 moms liked this

"Times" haven't changed. People have changed. We live in statistically what is the safest and least violent time our world has ever known. 

What's changed is our perception of the world, the access we have to information, and the fact that we are constantly bombarded by a steady stream of crime and violence in the media. 

villagemamma
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Definitely the times. I used to walk all over a neighbor when i was little that i now would not walk through as a grown adult. I would walk to school by myself starting and elementary school, i would walk to friends, the library, or parks without my parents. Things i would never even consider allowing my daughter to do.

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM
I think it's more about kids being different. You said she was immature, maybe when you were 6 you were much more mature and responsible. There's always been danger, we just get overloaded by the amount if media out there. Everyone's got a phone with a camera. Of course times change, but I think it's more about individuals.
Bianca008
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM

My kids played out in the neighborhood. They are now 22 and 17. They were never far from home and I knew where they were. Times have changed and it also depends where you live. I'm sure some let their kids play unattended and it's okay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN