Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my confession: I've turned into the crazy bfing lady..

Posted by   + Show Post
ladies, you know the type. There's always that one lady who INSISTS you breastfeed. She constantly points out the benifits of breastfeeding and gives you a million facts..

I used to laugh at that lady. I never understood why women pushed ff moms soo much. Don't get me wrong, I know women have their reasons for not bfing & it's none of my buisness. but why not atleast TRY?

I was with my friend recently & she said she tried bfing for two days but her milk wouldnt come in, so she substituted with formula. and she got really engorged and didnt know what to do cause her baby was sleeping.

I found myself begging her to try again (it was only a week later & she still had some milk) I tried to get her to pump, tried to get her to put baby to breast first thing in the AM. she said she'd try it...but I think that was to shut me up. Her baby is 2mo. now & I STILL find myself trying to get her to pump or try again since she's still making milk.

I guess Im just a little sad that she's missing out on such an amazing experiance. So there it is, Im the crazy bf-ing mom!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

eh. I tried breastfeeding with both of my kids. I really wanted to breastfeed. but it just didn't work out. If I have anymore kids, I will not even attempt to breastfeed cuz it was such a bad experience for me. I can't go thru trying and failing again. breastfeeding is not for everybody and would never force it on anybody. as long as baby is being fed and loved and cared for, thats all that matters.

I don't want to bash or debate with you, just your attitude towards it is what stands out.

"I really wanted to, but it just didn't work out. It's not for everybody."

But, breastfeeding isn't just some choice like babywearing or cosleeping or getting their ears pierced. It's not just a 'what works for you', 'one or the other' kind of a thing. 

It's just how babies eat. 

I don't mean it like "formula is unnatural, therefore it's bad because we all need to be natural. NATURAL!!" you know? It's not just about being more natural, it's just what babies are made to eat, but we think of it like some big option because formula is so prevalent and at some point people believed it was better than breastmilk.

Now we know better, so breastfeeding is slowly making a comeback.

Before modern day formula when babies didn't get to breastfeed, they died or were malnourished.

Formula is a better substitute for breastmilk than milk straight from other mammals to prevent death in cases of tragedy.

That's all it is. A slightly better substitute for the real thing.

In less developed countries you wouldn't hear someone say, "I just didn't feel like it. It just didn't work out. It wasn't fun for me."

It's free, it's healthy, it supports the immune system, it's normal.

It's just what ya do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM
I think more people need to butt out not your baby or boobs why put the pressure on her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

eh. I tried breastfeeding with both of my kids. I really wanted to breastfeed. but it just didn't work out. If I have anymore kids, I will not even attempt to breastfeed cuz it was such a bad experience for me. I can't go thru trying and failing again. breastfeeding is not for everybody and would never force it on anybody. as long as baby is being fed and loved and cared for, thats all that matters.

I don't want to bash or debate with you, just your attitude towards it is what stands out.

But, breastfeeding isn't just some choice like babywearing or cosleeping or getting their ears pierced. It's not just a 'what works for you', 'one or the other' kind of a thing. 

I don't mean it like "formula is unnatural, therefore it's bad because we all need to be natural. NATURAL!!" you know? It's not just about being more natural, it's just what babies are made to eat, but we think of it like some big option because formula is so prevalent and at some point people believed it was better than breastmilk.

Before modern day formula when babies didn't get to breastfeed, they died or were malnourished.

Formula is a better substitute for breastmilk than milk straight from other mammals to prevent death in cases of tragedy.

In less developed countries you wouldn't hear someone say, "I just didn't feel like it. It just didn't work out. It wasn't fun for me."

It's just what ya do.

I get what you are saying but I look at it like this. giving birth vaginally is natural too. but sometimes, for some reason or another, it just doesn't work out and is not meant to be and women have to have c-sections. just cuz something is natural, does not mean its best or is better. we live in a day and age where we have choices. we don't have to just do things cuz they are natural or we just die. back in the day before formula, they had wet nurses for mothers who couldn't breastfeed. but nowadays, they have formula. without formula my kids would have died cuz I just couldn't breastfeed no matter how hard I tried. and back in the day women died in childbirth cuz they didn't have c-sections. so ya modern day stuff like formula and c-sections are not such a bad thing. I think its better for women and children to have options and to do whats best for them and their family instead of just going with what is natural even tho it might not be whats best.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Yes and I'm sure your frienship is so much stronger for it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

It's just what ya do.

I get what you are saying but I look at it like this. giving birth vaginally is natural too. but sometimes, for some reason or another, it just doesn't work out and is not meant to be and women have to have c-sections. just cuz something is natural, does not mean its best or is better. we live in a day and age where we have choices. we don't have to just do things cuz they are natural or we just die. back in the day before formula, they had wet nurses for mothers who couldn't breastfeed. but nowadays, they have formula. without formula my kids would have died cuz I just couldn't breastfeed no matter how hard I tried. and back in the day women died in childbirth cuz they didn't have c-sections. so ya modern day stuff like formula and c-sections are not such a bad thing. I think its better for women and children to have options and to do whats best for them and their family instead of just going with what is natural even tho it might not be whats best.

But, the point is that vaginal birth and breastfeeding is healthier for the majority.

C-sections and formula are the exception to the rule, and we are lucky to have access to them, but they are not on equal footing with the "natural" way to do it. Sometimes they save lives, but in the cases where they are not needed to save lives, they hinder our health.

Moms are using formula and doctors are using surgical birth at a much higher rate than is necessary, and there are consequences.

If it's not absolutely needed, it is in our best interest to avoid these substitutes.

FL2AK
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't be that chick.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Fistandantalus
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Recognizing that you have a problem is the first step.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

It's just what ya do.

But, the point is that vaginal birth and breastfeeding is healthier for the majority.

C-sections and formula are the exception to the rule, and we are lucky to have access to them, but they are not on equal footing with the "natural" way to do it. Sometimes they save lives, but in the cases where they are not needed to save lives, they hinder our health.

Moms are using formula and doctors are using surgical birth at a much higher rate than is necessary, and there are consequences.

If it's not absolutely needed, it is in our best interest to avoid these substitutes.

oh I absolutely agree that people do take advantage of c-sections and formula and use them more out of convenience then necessity. and trust me I am a more natural person and using natural methods. I gave birth to both of my kids vaginally without an epidural or any interventions. I was totally set on breastfeeding my babies. I met with several lactation consultants with both kids. they helped alittle. but they never could help me breastfeed 100%. they said sometimes it just doesn't work out no matter how hard you try and thats ok. in the end all that matter is that I tried and that baby is being fed and mommy and baby are happy. I was heartbroken and devastated that I couldn't breastfeed my babies. but in the end I gave up knowing I did all I could and I have no regrets. but knowing what I know now, and gone thru what I did, its absolutely not something I can go thru trying again. after 2 failed attempts, I just couldn't go thru it again. it was a horrible, bad experience, and I just can't put myself thru that again. breastfeeding, even tho it is natural, is not as easy as it looks. some women, like my mom and sister, did it successfully with all their kids no problem. other people like me and a few of my friends, struggled with it and never could get the hang of it. some women can work thru it, but some women cant. there no right or wrong. yes breastfeeding is best in most cases. but again, sometimes it just doesn't work, just like giving birth vaginally. sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:38 PM
You don't have any bio kids?

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I never had an infant so I never had to "try" but if I did I wouldn't try anyway. Making my kid convulse because of my meds would not be an option.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:38 PM

No.

Quoting Anonymous:

You don't have any bio kids?

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I never had an infant so I never had to "try" but if I did I wouldn't try anyway. Making my kid convulse because of my meds would not be an option.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)