Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I dont have a college fund for my child and will NOT be getting one

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you think

Options:

I didnt agree but now that you explain your reason, I can see your point

I agree

I disagree

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 174

View Results

I don't  understand why when someone talks about bills, they always say 'well do you have a college fund set up' as if its some mandatory expense like a mortgage or electric.

We are not low income. We are not rich, but we are well off. 

I absolutely can afford to have a college fund set up for my child. 

But i refuse to do so. 

my daughter is 15. and she understands and agrees with me. 

See...I don't believe in just handing everything over to my child. especially once she is an adult. 

next year she will be buying her own car. she is already saving up for it. and will be getting a job as soon as she reaches the legal age limit for work. *this summer* 

when she decides on college, she will be the one to work for it. 

Life doesn't just hand you everything. Anything you have and get, you have to WORK for. and to me that includes your college education. 

She can apply for a loan, grants, or get a job and work her way through college. 

So...please bash away :) 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
Dreamly
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I agree with you on your dd buying here own car but not about paying for college. My dh and I will pay as we don't want our kids to start out in life in debt. But we will not buy them a car what-so-ever
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
iwanabemomie
by Chunk on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Hey, what ever works for you.

I always save for everything. A few years back i struggled , I learned from that and refuse to let my dd do the same if she wants to attend college.

beccas302
by New Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I completely understand making kids responsible for their own education; both my husband and I paid for our own. With that said, we do have a college fund for our son, but only because my husband transferred his GI Bill over to him. It will pay for 36 months of school, a living stipend (which is based on where he lives), as well as $1,000 a year for books and supplies. Anything else, he will be responsible for.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:44 PM
It IS just handed to people that don't work..

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't  understand why when someone talks about bills, they always say 'well do you have a college fund set up' as if its some mandatory expense like a mortgage or electric.

We are not low income. We are not rich, but we are well off. 

I absolutely can afford to have a college fund set up for my child. 

But i refuse to do so. 

my daughter is 15. and she understands and agrees with me. 

See...I don't believe in just handing everything over to my child. especially once she is an adult. 

next year she will be buying her own car. she is already saving up for it. and will be getting a job as soon as she reaches the legal age limit for work. *this summer* 

when she decides on college, she will be the one to work for it. 

Life doesn't just hand you everything. Anything you have and get, you have to WORK for. and to me that includes your college education. 

She can apply for a loan, grants, or get a job and work her way through college. 

So...please bash away :) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Are you fucking serious?!?!  You're more concerned about your own welfare and comfort than making sure your kids can get their life started without 60K in loans.  SHAME SHAME SHAME ON YOU! 

And shame on the OP.  College isn't a luxury anymore, its a necessity and if you can afford it why the hell wouldn't you??  You're setting your kids up to have tens of thousands of dollars in debt before they even get a full-time LOW PAYING job.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I agree, we don't pay for college, my husband and I are preparing to have a comfortable retirement.  That is more important to us.

CarolinaGirl88
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM
I disagree with your point, but if thats how you want to do things then by all means do so. Personally, I prefer to save up money for my daughter so that when she is older she won't be starting completely from nothing. However, I will still want her to work hard and save her own money and try for things like scholarships as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM

And what about scholarships. My daughter has a college fund, but i would be so thrilled if she got an academic scholarship. 

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I'm very serious.  My children are young, intelligent, able bodied and their father and I are much older parents and I am permanently disabled.  In addition we have a child that will need to be cared for forever.  So our money is better spent on our retirement and the future care of our youngest child.

My son is in college now and had no trouble getting loans to cover his tuition, fees and books.  He lives at home so we pay for him to live.  I had no trouble paying off my student loans and still managed to make a comfortable life for myself and my children.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you fucking serious?!?!  You're more concerned about your own welfare and comfort than making sure your kids can get their life started without 60K in loans.  SHAME SHAME SHAME ON YOU! 

And shame on the OP.  College isn't a luxury anymore, its a necessity and if you can afford it why the hell wouldn't you??  You're setting your kids up to have tens of thousands of dollars in debt before they even get a full-time LOW PAYING job.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I agree, we don't pay for college, my husband and I are preparing to have a comfortable retirement.  That is more important to us.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Did you know that cussing and shouting makes you look less intelligent?

I happen to agree with dzyre. 

The fact of the matter is, college is an ADULT responsibility. As an adult, i paid for my schooling, and i worked hard for it. and it made me appreciate it more. 

now, i get to save so that when i am older, i can enjoy my retirement. 

the same applies to my kids. it is THEIR responsibility. they are ADULTS. not children. mommy isnt going to pay their way.

if i pay for their college i wont be able to afford my retirement. if i pay for their college, would they take it serious? would it be as important to them? would they be as proud of themselves if someone just gave it to them?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM
that's great for you. For me on the otherhand, I choose to help my daughter. She will not get everything handed to her, but if she works hard you bet your ass I will help out with whatever a scholarship won't.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN