Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I dont have a college fund for my child and will NOT be getting one

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you think

Options:

I didnt agree but now that you explain your reason, I can see your point

I agree

I disagree

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 174

View Results

I don't  understand why when someone talks about bills, they always say 'well do you have a college fund set up' as if its some mandatory expense like a mortgage or electric.

We are not low income. We are not rich, but we are well off. 

I absolutely can afford to have a college fund set up for my child. 

But i refuse to do so. 

my daughter is 15. and she understands and agrees with me. 

See...I don't believe in just handing everything over to my child. especially once she is an adult. 

next year she will be buying her own car. she is already saving up for it. and will be getting a job as soon as she reaches the legal age limit for work. *this summer* 

when she decides on college, she will be the one to work for it. 

Life doesn't just hand you everything. Anything you have and get, you have to WORK for. and to me that includes your college education. 

She can apply for a loan, grants, or get a job and work her way through college. 

So...please bash away :) 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Replies (31-40):
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM
We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I plan on outright paying for his college, not taking on 100k of debt for him. If he wants to go away, he can foot his own living expenses. But he can live at home for free. Or he can ask his dad for the money. His dad works at Target 10 hours a week, lives in a dump, and has no vehicle or money. Without my degree, I've done Ok but I'll be finishing my degree in a couple of years and doubling my earning potential. I doubt he'll want to live like his father and sees how important college is to me and why.

Quoting KrissyKC:

What if your child considers it optional?   How will you handle the difference of opinion?   I ask because my DH didn't want to go to college, but he felt "forced" by his mother.   Then, when he did poorly and failed out, she also "forced" him to pay off her loans plus his loans.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I dont consider college an option so I'm OK footing the bill.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Keara20
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Mine has a gerber grow up plan so she can use that for some college, unless something terrible happens and we hVe to use it for that. But let's not think about that!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM

My kids will have to do well in school and get scholarships and grants. They will have to work their way through college just like we did. 

Jodi136525
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:01 PM

We have college funds set up for our children.  I would prefer them to focus on school then to worry about working, especially if they are enrolled in rigorous programs and going to be applying for competitive graduate schools.  I also don't see the need to have them pay back loans if we have plenty for retirement already and can help them with school.  My parents did this for me and I feel like helping my children is showing my appreciation for what my parents did for me, and of my children's hard work.  I would hope that they share our values and help their children through school as well.  That said, if either of my children door poorly in school they will be either paying us back for that semester.  So far one wants to be an engineer and the other an orthopedist, and both are pretty driven in school. 

MaMa.Lu
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Understandable.

I did just that myself, working 3 jobs while in college.

I want to help my dd bc it was tough. I probably won't pay for all of it, but will help offset some of the cost.
JazzyMommyx3
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM
I do things a little differnt.. our kids get a $50 bonus for a straight A report card and they keep half and half goes into a trust fund along with other money that set up so they get it either when they go to college or are 23
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mojogirl
by Gunnery Sgt Hartman on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM

this thread makes me very sad, never knew so many parents didn't think college was important enough to help their kids save for

unusualmom
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I paid for my own college so can my kids. Their continual education will benefit them more than it benefits me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Hopefully things change. Right now you can only borrow a certain amount.
gigis1
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:06 PM
If we are capable of saving for it, we will. If they want to go to college, awsome, if not, we aren't just handing them the money. If we dont have enough for their college choice, they can help
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)