Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I dont have a college fund for my child and will NOT be getting one

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you think

Options:

I didnt agree but now that you explain your reason, I can see your point

I agree

I disagree

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 174

View Results

I don't  understand why when someone talks about bills, they always say 'well do you have a college fund set up' as if its some mandatory expense like a mortgage or electric.

We are not low income. We are not rich, but we are well off. 

I absolutely can afford to have a college fund set up for my child. 

But i refuse to do so. 

my daughter is 15. and she understands and agrees with me. 

See...I don't believe in just handing everything over to my child. especially once she is an adult. 

next year she will be buying her own car. she is already saving up for it. and will be getting a job as soon as she reaches the legal age limit for work. *this summer* 

when she decides on college, she will be the one to work for it. 

Life doesn't just hand you everything. Anything you have and get, you have to WORK for. and to me that includes your college education. 

She can apply for a loan, grants, or get a job and work her way through college. 

So...please bash away :) 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Where is my other option? I somewhat agree. We are planning on saving X amount for each child. If they go to college they will get it. If they don't then its ours. We will help them by providing them food and shelter but everything else will be their expenses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM

DH and I went to a private university and we're paying it off ourselves. If we come into a lot of money then sure, otherwise they can manage to send themselves. We also had a lot in scholarship money and hope our kids can do the same.

s.osborne
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM
We were lower middle class/poor when I was growing up so I want better for my child. I knew I wasn't getting a car. Me, my brother and sister had to share the one my grandfather bought us and it was ridiculous. When I was a sophomore in high school my parents told me they spent my college fund my grandparents had set up for me on medical bills and that I was on my own. I don't want that for my child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
miss_lisa
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Not all careers require college in order to make a decent living. We want to encourage our kids to go to college and will help if they do. However if they're chosen career path isn't college oriented we will understand.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I plan on outright paying for his college, not taking on 100k of debt for him. If he wants to go away, he can foot his own living expenses. But he can live at home for free. Or he can ask his dad for the money. His dad works at Target 10 hours a week, lives in a dump, and has no vehicle or money. Without my degree, I've done Ok but I'll be finishing my degree in a couple of years and doubling my earning potential. I doubt he'll want to live like his father and sees how important college is to me and why.

Quoting KrissyKC:

What if your child considers it optional?   How will you handle the difference of opinion?   I ask because my DH didn't want to go to college, but he felt "forced" by his mother.   Then, when he did poorly and failed out, she also "forced" him to pay off her loans plus his loans.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I dont consider college an option so I'm OK footing the bill.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Uhh you see it backwards from me. 

College is TOO IMPORTANT for me to pay their way through it. 

i guess its just a different opinion. 

Quoting mojogirl:

this thread makes me very sad, never knew so many parents didn't think college was important enough to help their kids save for

LucyHarper
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM

My kids are responsible for their own cars, cell phones, computers, any expensive things. But college, we help with as much as possible. They also get jobs once they are old enough to help out with the college bills as well, but they will be getting an education. That is important to me. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM

My MIL set up college funds for my kids.  It will pay for 2 years of school.  I have not set up anything for them.  They have to work hard for scholarships to pay for the rest.  I have been told by their teachers that with their grades, they will have no problems getting them.  

IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Whatever.. your child, your money, your decision.

If I made less money my child could get a free ride through college, because I don't.. she would have to pay for it herself if I had decided not to set it one up for her. I don't think that would be very fair. I will pay for my daughter to go through 4 years of school, that I accept as my responsibilty as a parent who can afford to do so. If she wants to go to graduate school, she can pay for that.

I won't bash you, but you also won't change my mind lol.

brittany208
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I might do what my dad did for me... for the first couple years, I worked and made as much money as I could, then he covered the rest. It usually ended up half and half. This obviously wouldn't work for a lazy child, but it worked great for me. (the last couple years, he didnt want to pay anymore, so I paid what I could and got loans for the rest)

Or like how DH's dad helped him get his first car (when DH was younger, obviously not after he became my DH)--his dad said he would match whatever my DH could earn.

We do not have a college fund for our boys, but right now its more important to me to pay the student loans I already have that are accumulating interest, than to worry about loans my boys will get 15-20 years down the road.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM
I don't want our daughters leaving college with debt. So yes I'm going to help them out as much as I can.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)