Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Did you know you could buy this with foodstamps?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

The lady in front of me in walmart today bought a 15 foot peach tree with EBT. Turns out you can buy plant seeds, vegetable and fruit plants and apparently including $30 trees.  Holy freaking cow I did not know that.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
Jcothrine
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM

well it makes sense if you can buy seeds and other plants that make food...right?

-JC-
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I knew seeds, didn't know trees. But I think I'd rather see her buy a tree and have her have fruit every summer then buy it weekly. I'm sure that tree will pay for itself. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM
In Oklahoma food stamps and child support have the same card design. So it's really impossible to tell what it is they are actually using.

I'm pretty sure tanf cards are the same also.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM

My sister told me that you could buy seeds,I didn't know about trees though.

mommy_2_be_2010
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Had no idea

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

She might've had cash on her card

Nope, you can buy fruit and vegetable seeds.  Herbs too.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Smart on her part
mich.el.le
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Trees are a little weird but I'm all for people growing their own food. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

That's good though..maybe she doesn't get much and can't always afford to buy fresh fruits and veggies.

I would buy seeds and such..except plants and seeds kill themselves when they see me rather than dying a slow and painful death lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I found that out by accident once. I did my grocery shopping and got a tomato plant to plant in a pot on my porch . I figured I would have to pay separately for the plant but I forgot about it when I went to pay and I didn't remember until the guy was bagging my stuff. I told him I needed to pay for the plant and he told me ebt covered it. It was only like a dollar but I still wouldn't have used food stamps for it.

bri2011
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Yea I agree. Itll help them become more self sufficient. Plus fruits and veggies are healthy so no complaints from me.

Quoting handy0318:

I agree 100%! I don't mind at all if my tax dollars go to people growing their own veggies and fruits.  I wish more people would!

Quoting bri2011:

Thats actually neat !

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)