Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Need help choosing a dog breed (sorry, it's long)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 132 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't really even know where to start with this.  My DH and I have decided to get a dog for our family.  We haven't had a dog before so it's all pretty new, with a lot of unknowns.  We have two kids, 10 and 14 year old boys.  The 14 year old isn't interested in getting a dog.  We're really getting the dog for the 10 year old.  We have recently moved across the country, and he's having a little difficulty with the transition-school, friends, house, everything is changing.  He has always been moody, and this has kicked it into high gear.  I guess we thought it would be nice for him to have a buddy/pet to hang out with, talk to, play with, etc. and he has asked for a dog since he was about 5.

Like I said, we've never had a pet, so I did a little looking around here and there are several rescue organizations.  We found a dog he seemed to connect with at one of the shelters.  I filled out the application, spoke with the guy there and he said he would call to set up a home visit.  We stopped by there a couple of more times to check in, but no one ever called.  I figured the dog was adopted and they just never let us know.  So, we went to another group and found another dog.  She is older, 10, but still very active.  She's the perfect dog, she is house trained, doesn't bark, very sweet, very loving.  But, she doesn't want to have anything to do with my DS.  We have had her for about 3 weeks, and she hasn't warmed up to anyone in the household except me.  If I am in the room, she ignores everyone else.  If I'm not there, she howls and whines for me.

This breaks my heart because DS doesn't understand why she doesn't like him, won't let him pet her, won't play with him, or won't sleep in his bed.  I've spoken to the adopting agency and they have agreed that we can foster this dog until her forever home is found.  In the meantime, I heard from the first organization that the first dog is still available.  I spoke with his foster parent today and he sounds like he's exactly like the dog we have now.  I haven't told my DS about the first dog yet.  I don't know if I should or if we should keep looking for another dog.  Both of these dogs are chihuahua mixes.  At this point, I don't know what kind of dog would have the temperament that we're looking for.

What is your recommendation for the "perfect" dog for our situation?  I don't want one that is too big, or sheds a lot.  Also, we have a very small yard, so a big dog wouldn't have a lot of room to roam.  THANKS for any help!

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I've been doing a lot of research about dogs.  I find a cute one, then I look up the breed.  I can't suggest a specific dog for you because I've been looking into big dogs.  We want something that will guard and be loyal to our family.  We'll also be starting with a puppy.  

I can suggest doing a lot of research on specific breeds and starting a little earlier in their life.  The dog you have now may just be partial to females or just you.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:32 PM
If your willing to make sure the dog is walked daily I would get a Australian Shepherd puppy they make awesome companion dogs love to play and love people.But if your planning on it being a outside down then cross this breed off the list. Beagles are also cool dogs for kids
Crymsm
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:35 PM
I have a Pembroke welsh corgi and he is a great dog for my energetic sons.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Queen_Bree
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't read your post it was way too long.. In my experience the best dogs are mixed breed mutts. You can find smaller mixed breeds at shelters. Just check around in some cases the shelter will help you locate the perfect dog for you. I wish you the best.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:39 PM
I have a miniature schnauzer I got from a local shelter. She's awesome great family pet smaller animal. They don't shed and live to be pretty old. She's my 2nd child I would recommend a schnauzer to anyone.
xomrs.chase
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:40 PM
We want a pembroke welsh corgi when our son is a little older.
Sarah-mom01
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Well I work at a dog shelter, and I understand your situation. It's had having a dog that doesn't like every one in your family. To be honest, the shelter never should have adopted tyre dog out to you (just becayse it doesn't like anyone but you).

Well, I always say this first, the breed does not make the dog. Just because the breed may be perfect, doesnt mean the dog will be. And vice versa.

What kind of dog are you looking for? And what type of personality? I can recommend a breed better knowing that. What does your son want? Active? Or a cuddle buddy?
cherokeegoddess
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM

i have 3 chihuahuas. they are very mild tempered. spoiled rotten lol but chihuahuas get such a bad rep of being ankle biters and mean. they are great for people who have asthma and allergies.  i used to have a chiweenie (half dachsund half chihuahua) they are great pets. pomeranians and poodles bark way too much.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Greyhounds are great dogs. They love to be active or are completely content snuggling.
paganmommy4
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Can you own a pitbull? Please dont say that you're afraid or your husband is afraid but if you are, I can tell you that they can be excellent pets for kids and make excellent family animals. 

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/breedinfo.php

Myths About Pit Bulls

Here is a rundown of the myths you’ve heard about Pit Bulls.

Myth: “Pit bulls have locking jaws.”
Fact: There is absolutely not evidence for the existence of any kind of ’locking mechanism’ unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier, says Dr. I. Lerh Brisbin of the University of Georgia (from the ADBA booklet, “Discover the American Pit Bull Terrier.”)

Myth: “Pit bulls have 10,000 pounds per square inch (PSI) bite pressure.”
Fact: Testing has shown that the domestic dog averages 320 pounds PSI. The highest recorded PSI for a Pit Bull was 235.

Myth: “Pit bulls turn on their owners.”
Fact: There is always a reason for a dog’s behavior. If aggression is the problem, the reason is linked to poor handling, under socialization, lack of training, and misunderstanding of clear “dog” signs. The news reports of “family dog attacks child” usually leave out important details of what happened prior to the incident. One story claimed a 7-year-old was mauled by the neighbors’ pit bull. What the story left out was that the owner had beaten their “family” dogs severely, left them in the basement to die and they were surviving on plastic tubing and garbage. The dog in question had actually eaten rat poison and had gone crazy. When the child opened the basement door, the dogs went for the first person they saw.

Myth: “The brains of Pit Bulls swell and cause them to go crazy.”
Fact: This myth actually originated with the Doberman pinscher. It was believed Dobermans suffered from a brain affliction that caused it to swell and the dog to would “just snap.” It was not true then, and is certainly not true today.

5 Things to Know About Pit Bulls

Here are five things you probably didn’t know about the Pit Bull:

1. Pit Bulls make great therapy dogs, search and rescue dogs and agility dogs. Because this breed is so eager to make their owners happy, and because they are such hard working dogs, they have made great companions in these fields.
  2. The Pit Bull was so popular in the early 1900s they were our mascot not only in World War One, but World War Two as well. They were featured on recruiting and propaganda posters during this time period.
  3. Sgt. Stubby. A Pit Bull war hero. Stubby was wounded in action twice, he saved his entire platoon by warning them of a poison gas attack and he single handedly captured a German spy.
  4. Pete the Pup on the original Little Rascals was a Pit Bull.
  5. Pit Bulls score an 83.4% passing rate with the American Temperament Test Society. That’s better than the popular Border Collie (a breed who scores 79.6%).

Now that you know more about this wonderful dog, you should consider taking a closer look at this breed to see if it makes a good fit in your family. Currently the Washington Humane Society is promoting its Adopt-A-Bull August program. For the month of August all fees have been waived for any Pit Bull adoptions. With over 1,000 animals going through the shelter every month this summer, something needs to be done to save this breed from its undeserved bad reputation.

PITBULLGEAR.COM wants you to know that PIT BULLS LOVE KIDS! It's an actual fact that is not well known outside the Pit Bull Community, because they are stereotyped by the media to be mean & dangerous dogs. Well-managed, responsibly owned pit bulls are some of the best family dogs. The American Canine Temperament Test Society lists this breed as having one of the most stable temperaments of any of the purebreds, right up there with golden retrievers. Many APBTs go out of their way to lick little faces and will wag their tails when they see a child. Many will let kids pull their ears, climb on their backs and the rough and tumble fans that they are, will love every minute of rugged kid-style attention. Don't believe us? Take a look for yourself and check out our gallery below. If you have a picture of a Pit Bull with a kid, and would like to share it with us, send it to: pitbullgear.com@gmail.com 

http://www.pitbullgear.com/Articles.asp?ID=173

http://truthaboutpitbulls.blogspot.com/

I own a pitbull with small kids and older kids.. She loves them all

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN