Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Church refuses to marry heterosexual couples

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

NC church to forgo marriages for straight couples

UPDATED 7:10 PM EDT Mar 16, 2013
Gay marriage, same-sex marriage
jeangill/SXC

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. —A Winston-Salem Methodist church says it's forgoing marriages for heterosexual couples until United Methodist pastors are allowed to officiate at marriages for same-sex couples.

The Winston-Salem Journal reported that the 18-member leadership council at Green Street United Methodist Church is asking pastors to conduct relationship blessings rather than marriage ceremonies in the sanctuary. That's until the United Methodist Church changes its policies.

The council has scheduled a Sunday news conference to discuss its stance.

n its initial announcement released through Equality NC, the church said it sees injustice in the legal position of state government and the theological position of its denomination.

The council is asking the church's ministers to join others who refuse to sign any state marriage licenses until the same rights are granted to same-sex couples.

Read more: http://www.wxii12.com/news/local-news/north-carolina/NC-church-to-forgo-marriages-for-straight-couples/-/10622650/19346226/-/m717yxz/-/index.html#ixzz2NlbMkdkX

What do you think about this?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Replies (171-173):
Aislin
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Tell that to all the religious lobby groups and the tons of churches that were reaching and protesting gay marriage. If you believe churches stay out of politics you are very naive

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting Aislin:

"That means no civil unions, domestic partnerships or any other form of partnership. They are all against the law. They aren't just waiting for the UMC to change their position."

I'm sorry, but aren't churches supposed to stay out of LEGAL matters? Or does that only apply when they try to influence laws in ways you don't like?

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Quoting Aislin:

Tell that to all the religious lobby groups and the tons of churches that were reaching and protesting gay marriage. If you believe churches stay out of politics you are very naive

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting Aislin:

"That means no civil unions, domestic partnerships or any other form of partnership. They are all against the law. They aren't just waiting for the UMC to change their position."

I'm sorry, but aren't churches supposed to stay out of LEGAL matters? Or does that only apply when they try to influence laws in ways you don't like?

No, I'm not naive. I'm perfectly well aware of that. Which is why I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of criticizing their involvement when it's to promote an anti-gay agenda but to cheer their involvement when you agree with them.

I personally think there should be NO involvement, which means I'll be the first one to speak against them promoting a civil anti-gay agenda. But then that means they also shouldn't promote a pro-gay agenda.

Aislin
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting Aislin:

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting Aislin:

No, I'm not naive. I'm perfectly well aware of that. Which is why I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of criticizing their involvement when it's to promote an anti-gay agenda but to cheer their involvement when you agree with them.

I personally think there should be NO involvement, which means I'll be the first one to speak against them promoting a civil anti-gay agenda. But then that means they also shouldn't promote a pro-gay agenda.

I personally agree that they should have no involvement in politics. I take it a step further and believe that if they involve themselves they should be taxed. I don't remember criticizing or cheering either way. Please show me where I have done either. I just don't see them as doing anything different than all the other churches and think they have every right to do what they are doing. No church has to marry anyone no matter what their reasons are. That doesn't even mean I agree with their stance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)