Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Church refuses to marry heterosexual couples

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

NC church to forgo marriages for straight couples

UPDATED 7:10 PM EDT Mar 16, 2013
Gay marriage, same-sex marriage
jeangill/SXC

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. —A Winston-Salem Methodist church says it's forgoing marriages for heterosexual couples until United Methodist pastors are allowed to officiate at marriages for same-sex couples.

The Winston-Salem Journal reported that the 18-member leadership council at Green Street United Methodist Church is asking pastors to conduct relationship blessings rather than marriage ceremonies in the sanctuary. That's until the United Methodist Church changes its policies.

The council has scheduled a Sunday news conference to discuss its stance.

n its initial announcement released through Equality NC, the church said it sees injustice in the legal position of state government and the theological position of its denomination.

The council is asking the church's ministers to join others who refuse to sign any state marriage licenses until the same rights are granted to same-sex couples.

Read more: http://www.wxii12.com/news/local-news/north-carolina/NC-church-to-forgo-marriages-for-straight-couples/-/10622650/19346226/-/m717yxz/-/index.html#ixzz2NlbMkdkX

What do you think about this?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Awesome. Go Methodists. I was raised and confirmed in the Methodist church and this makes me proud!
RichardsMom0209
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM
thats great! Good for them. I've always thought that everyone should have the same chance to marry who they wish. Gay or straight...shouldn't matter.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:26 AM
I know right?

All the super churchy people I know are hypocritical assholes! They seem nothing like that!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Well then they are a poor excuse for a church.

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:26 AM
2 moms liked this

That's an excellent form of protest they are using, I commend them for their originality as well as for supporting equality. 

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:27 AM
8 moms liked this
Wow, bullying people to act against their religious beliefs all in the name of "equality"... Fail
DarksMama
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Awesomesauce. Way to go!

paganmommy4
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:29 AM

its about time.. Anyone should have the right to get married

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Lol. Methodists.

(I keed, I keed. But seriously, this is silly)

moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Quoting momto2boys973:

Wow, bullying people to act against their religious beliefs all in the name of "equality"... Fail
AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's brilliant! I hope more churches join them. 

While I don't feel a church should be forced to marry same-sex couples, I do feel that those churches, those pastors who want to do so, should be allowed to perform them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)