Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Church refuses to marry heterosexual couples

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

NC church to forgo marriages for straight couples

UPDATED 7:10 PM EDT Mar 16, 2013
Gay marriage, same-sex marriage
jeangill/SXC

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. —A Winston-Salem Methodist church says it's forgoing marriages for heterosexual couples until United Methodist pastors are allowed to officiate at marriages for same-sex couples.

The Winston-Salem Journal reported that the 18-member leadership council at Green Street United Methodist Church is asking pastors to conduct relationship blessings rather than marriage ceremonies in the sanctuary. That's until the United Methodist Church changes its policies.

The council has scheduled a Sunday news conference to discuss its stance.

n its initial announcement released through Equality NC, the church said it sees injustice in the legal position of state government and the theological position of its denomination.

The council is asking the church's ministers to join others who refuse to sign any state marriage licenses until the same rights are granted to same-sex couples.

Read more: http://www.wxii12.com/news/local-news/north-carolina/NC-church-to-forgo-marriages-for-straight-couples/-/10622650/19346226/-/m717yxz/-/index.html#ixzz2NlbMkdkX

What do you think about this?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Replies (31-40):
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

"Then those priests should be allowed to marry homosexual couples if that's what they want."

Absolutely. But then separate yourself from that Church, don't bully and blackmail them into changing their policies.
MaMa.Lu
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Great to hear.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Ooh...true church of God would never allow same sex marriages in a church. Sorry.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM
2 moms liked this

This is interesting because in the bible it says that men who lie with men will not inherit Gods kingdom.

I always thought that meant that being gay was wrong and I was always taught that being gay was wrong.

Have they rewritten the bible?

snowpeasmom
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM
2 moms liked this

hypocrisy at its finest. Either follow the Bible or don't. Its like saying I am a Hinda Temple and I won't perform marriages until we can eat meat.

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

RMH Travel~~~Where the Real Magic Happens

Planning your perfect trip wheather its your first time or your 100th time, we promise to give you a magical trip.

Josie_P
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Awesome! About time!

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:42 AM
2 moms liked this
Good for them! Imagine, Christians...being Christ like! Who would have guessed!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Quoting snowpeasmom:

hypocrisy at its finest. Either follow the Bible or don't. Its like saying I am a Hinda Temple and I won't perform marriages until we can eat meat.

I agree, very hypocritical. So the "equal rights" they fight for don't seem to include the right to freedom of religion.
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:44 AM

What do I think? Well my first thought is to wonder what was omitted above....so I read three other sources.

Yep...there it is:

The church was kicked out of the Southern Baptist Convention in 1992 after a decision to bless gay marriages.

But the church remains a part of the American Baptist Churches USA denomination.

Petty, who is a lesbian, said the decision was more than she expected after expressing concern this summer. She has performed about 150 ceremonies in 20 years, evenly split between gay and heterosexual couples.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/11/21/1660556/pullen-baptist-takes-a-stand-for.html#storylink=cpy

AdensMommy1107
by Emerald Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Good for them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)