Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Church refuses to marry heterosexual couples

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

NC church to forgo marriages for straight couples

UPDATED 7:10 PM EDT Mar 16, 2013
Gay marriage, same-sex marriage
jeangill/SXC

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. —A Winston-Salem Methodist church says it's forgoing marriages for heterosexual couples until United Methodist pastors are allowed to officiate at marriages for same-sex couples.

The Winston-Salem Journal reported that the 18-member leadership council at Green Street United Methodist Church is asking pastors to conduct relationship blessings rather than marriage ceremonies in the sanctuary. That's until the United Methodist Church changes its policies.

The council has scheduled a Sunday news conference to discuss its stance.

n its initial announcement released through Equality NC, the church said it sees injustice in the legal position of state government and the theological position of its denomination.

The council is asking the church's ministers to join others who refuse to sign any state marriage licenses until the same rights are granted to same-sex couples.

Read more: http://www.wxii12.com/news/local-news/north-carolina/NC-church-to-forgo-marriages-for-straight-couples/-/10622650/19346226/-/m717yxz/-/index.html#ixzz2NlbMkdkX

What do you think about this?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting momto2boys973:

Wow, bullying people to act against their religious beliefs all in the name of "equality"... Fail

Was Rosa Parks bullying the bus driver?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:46 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Ooh...true church of God would never allow same sex marriages in a church. Sorry.

The true church of god wouldn't allow blacks to marry whites, or adulterers or women who weren't virgins on their wedding day to live.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:48 AM

This story is about Green Street Methodist in Winston Salem, not Pullen Baptist in Raleigh.

Quoting TranquilMind:

What do I think? Well my first thought is to wonder what was omitted above....so I read three other sources.

Yep...there it is:

The church was kicked out of the Southern Baptist Convention in 1992 after a decision to bless gay marriages.

But the church remains a part of the American Baptist Churches USA denomination.

Petty, who is a lesbian, said the decision was more than she expected after expressing concern this summer. She has performed about 150 ceremonies in 20 years, evenly split between gay and heterosexual couples.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/11/21/1660556/pullen-baptist-takes-a-stand-for.html#storylink=cpy

autodidact
by Snarknado on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:48 AM

so being concerned with equality makes them a bad church? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Well then they are a poor excuse for a church.

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:49 AM

All right.  My apologies.  Will go back and read other sources. 

Quoting Anonymous:

This story is about Green Street Methodist in Winston Salem, not Pullen Baptist in Raleigh.

Quoting TranquilMind:

What do I think? Well my first thought is to wonder what was omitted above....so I read three other sources.

Yep...there it is:

The church was kicked out of the Southern Baptist Convention in 1992 after a decision to bless gay marriages.

But the church remains a part of the American Baptist Churches USA denomination.

Petty, who is a lesbian, said the decision was more than she expected after expressing concern this summer. She has performed about 150 ceremonies in 20 years, evenly split between gay and heterosexual couples.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/11/21/1660556/pullen-baptist-takes-a-stand-for.html#storylink=cpy

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:49 AM

thetrollcat
by Meow on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this

shrugs

I think every church has their standards. Dont like em, dont go to that church.

Pushthruthepain
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Not focusing on hate.I don't hate anyone gay.I have a gay uncle who I am extremely close to as well as many gay friends(15+).God loves everyone equally bc he is God and loves us no matter what this is true.But he also is very clear what we are supposed to do.Being attracted to the same sex is not the issue, it's a temptation just like the urge to steal might be.It's the act of of sex between two people of the same sex that is the sin, just like premartial sex, adultery or even lying.Sin is sin.Only humans put different degrees of wrongness on sin.To God every sin is the same from lying to sexual sins.The fall of world(The eating of fruit) put alot of things in this world we would have to deal with Cancer,diseases, mental illness,cruelty, same sex attraction, complusion to drink,steal,lie, etc...It's how we deal with the life and challenges we are given that makes the difference.Everyone is like God wants you to be happy but in all honesty.God wants you to obey him and from that your happiness will come.Yes, God gives us free choice because he didn't want robots He wanted someone to be able to choose to love him back.But the God who loves us is all knowing and he loves us in ways we can't understand.Yes, we may go thru hard things but he will always be there to see us thru.I don 't believe it's right for gays to marry or same sex couples to have sex but it's not a bigger sin then me lying to my mom earlier about being busy when she called.I prefer to not hate people and work on myself.Helping show God's love by helping others Like Gasp my gay friends who are a couple move.

Quoting Anonymous:

There are less than a dozen verses based on homosexual hate and hundreds on love. Why do you choose to focus on hate?

Quoting Pushthruthepain:

That they have stepped away from being a church that is being bible believing.It's their right of course but...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Snarknado on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:52 AM

who exactly do you think is being bullied? 

Quoting momto2boys973:

Wow, bullying people to act against their religious beliefs all in the name of "equality"... Fail

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this

If a church doesn't abide by what you think is right then just stop being a member and find a church that does.  A church should not have to change to suit anyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)