Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are there actually laws and expectations about keeping opposite gendered children in seperate bedrooms?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:51 AM
  • 38 Replies

I know that if you are a foster parent, you have to provide seperate rooms for opposite genders. I also know that if you are forming a custody agreement, they take into account who has the space to put opposite genders in seperate rooms.

But, are all parents expected to do this? What if you don't? If you were ever studied by CPS for whatever reason, would that be a violation of any kind? What if kids wanted to share a room?

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:52 AM
No law that I know of exists stating that my biological son and daughter can't share a room.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:53 AM

as far as   i know there   arent any laws.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I believe it varies by state and also by landlords. But if you live in a house, I don't think it counts. Only for apts. I could be wrong. You would have to check your state laws.

kitchen.ninja
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:53 AM
No laws here in Ca. However government housing has limits I believe.
RMC007
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Nope. There are no laws in any state that require parents to provide separate bedrooms for opposite gender siblings. In fact, there are no laws requiring parents to provide a bedroom for theirchildren. Like you said, foster parents are an exception to the rule as are court ordered custody arrangements.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Most states have laws. or CPS in those states do. Its about 5-6 years old. for the same reasons people of opposite genders don't shower together.

AMedicsPixie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Depends on your states renting policies. If you oen your home it doesn't matter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I think in my state its only applied for kids over a certain age. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:56 AM
No state has laws stating biological siblings can't share a room.

Quoting Anonymous:

Most states have laws. or CPS in those states do. Its about 5-6 years old. for the same reasons people of opposite genders don't shower together.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope! If you are poor and have your happy family in 1 room and they are warm, fed and taken care of.... you are doing great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)