Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wierd travel situation.... Carlsbad Caverns,NM - Would you write a letter?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
Hi - My family just got home from a trip to Carlsbad Caverns NM. Had a FABULOUS time and my kids loved it. In case you don't know, it is one of the largest caves in the world, has a naturall entrance, etc etc etc Google it to learn more. My kids LOVED it!!!!!!! ANYWAY, we also got a private tour. These fill up fast and we booked them online. It was sold out for at least a week. Basically you get to see parts of the cave that other people don't get to see (very fascinating), learn about the history, have the lights turned out etc The extra tour cost 8 bucks for adults, 4 for kids, by the way. So we get to the tour meeting area to meet for the tour. The ranger (tour guide) went over the rules with us (no touching stuff, etc) He explained that yesterday a 16 year old girl spit in the cave and got arrested, he said if anyone broke the rules he would call the authorities etc etc etc .He seemed very serious, which was fine with me really. Okay then he announces that a couple, (with no kids) had volunteered to basically be the "caboose" of the line as we walk to the private area. Then said to follow him basically, that we would make a right turn and off we went. And that the volunteer couple would be the caboose and make sure everyone got there. So we walked. It was roughly a 4 minute walk to the path that leads to the private area (Kings Palace in case you've been to the cave) We did run into a crowd of people but we kept up. So we get to the entrance to the private area, and no one is behind us. The tour guide waits like a minute (no joke, it was a minute that's it) and says well, I guess they couldn't keep up and says we will go in and they can't come. (THey still aren't there) Then a guy with his son, says that his wife was one of those behind. So the tour guide rudely says, okay you can stay with us or we can let you ot (he had already locked the gate behind them.) So the guy says well I guess you'll have to let me out. So he does. We then go into the Kings Palace Tour and the people are definitely left behind. That inclludes the couple that had volunteered to be the caboose, and we know there was a grandfather with 2 little girls, and others. At lealst 8 people, but probably more. We suspect the grandfather was walking a little slow and the volunteer couple was staying with him as well as the others. So, the ranger does apologize for that (to us, not them obviously since they aren't there) and then also randomly in the middle of the tour says to tell his manager that he did tell them to make a right turn and told them to keep up. Anyway, my husbabnd says we should write a complaint letter to the... I guess head park ranger, I don't know, explaining what we saw..... I don't want ge the park ranger fired, but then again, it was ridiculous. I mean, seriously, the rest of us would have been fine if he had to cut the tour 5 minutes short (removed some of the jokes he told us whatever) so they could come. I feel sorry for them - esp the couple who offered to be the caboose - bbecause they had paid, and for all we know they were from New York and had been planning this trip for like 2 years. Would you write a letter?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:39 AM

UGH. I had written this in paragraphs and it publislhed it as ao one big pararaph, ugh Sorry it is so long

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Well I doubt anyone is going to read this but I guess I don't blame y'all ha

snowpeasmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:43 AM
Yes I would complain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:44 AM

I would write a letter explaining what you saw and explain that you felt it wasn't right and then ask IF what the Park Ranger did was typical

reesesami
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I read it! And yes, I would write a letter. That is unacceptable customer service.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OkieOBRN
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:46 AM
I would have spoke up THEN. I guess writing a letter would be ok..but it would mean more coming from those who were slighted. Maybe they got a refund?

Either way its the guides responsibility to keep the group together ...not a volunteer visitor.. guide seems like he was on quite the power trip.
Sharon300
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:48 AM
I would write a letter it wasn't fair for the people who paid and got left behind.
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:49 AM

I would write the letter.  Chances are those who got left behind filed a complaint, and your letter could really help them get the situation resolved.  If you truly feel the ranger was not profesional and was making bad choices, then write the letter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:51 AM
Cut short a tour because of someone. Not right. You paid the price to have the tour you should get it no cut outs. I think they have to go by a time table doing everything at a certin time so other groups dont bump into each other.. If I could not keep up I would not go..
paganmommy4
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:20 AM

You could write a letter. I mean its no bigger to wait or whatever but he did seem a little rude

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)