Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you smoke.....**UPDATED**

Shes Gone. Please consider quitting.

I am going to get up on my soap box here. Please listen up. Smoking Kills. Its ugly and painful and breaks the hearts of the people who love you. If you come near me with a cigerette in your hand or mouth I will do my best to take it away from you. Quit now, before you make your family feel like their world is coming to an end.  I am watching my mother in law fade away to nothing. She was the most vibrant, energetic loving person. She is the whole families rock. She is love personified. She is peace and joy. She is warm hugs, laughter you can feel in your soul and the ear you need when the world is trying to drag you under. I never knew that peice of my heart was missing until she filled it. And shes going to leave us soon.  Our hearts are breaking.

Within five years of quitting smoking there is a proven 13% reduction in the risk of death from all causes, a 47% risk reduction in heart disease-related deaths, and a 27% reduction in the risk of death from stroke.

Within 20 years of quitting, the risk of dying among former smokers was similar to that of lifetime nonsmokers for most causes of death, with the exception of lung cancer.

People who quit smoking have a lower risk of lung cancer than if they had continued to smoke.

I am 6 years, 5 months and 16 days smoke free. I know its hard. But watching someone you love so much they feel like an extention of your being slowly and painfully die is much much much harder. Don't be that person to someone else. Please quit.

**Added** I am sorry people feel like I am telling you what to do. I am heartbroken. I don't want to see anyone else suffer and if that means sounding like a quit smoking nazi then so be it. I am going to bed. Its been a long few days and its going to be a long few weeks... 6 weeks is what they estimate.  Please, for your loved ones, atleast consider quitting.

**To Clarify*** I would never snatch a smoke out of the hands of a stranger but if I might try to talk to them about quitting. Especially if they are smoking near me. At the very least I would ask them to either put it out or smoke elsewhere and explain why. My hope is that they will consider my words and the reason behind them and my tears of grief and make a good choice.  I only have a few people who are close to me who smoke and all of them have been in this room with my mother in law and have vowed to quit.

I am saddened by how many people are not concerned by what they are going to put their family through at the end. Ultimately its your choice, but if I could transfer my pain to you for just a minute so you can feel what I feel right now.... you wouldn't want to bring it on anyone you love. 

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Replies (11-20):
Diamondblue1
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:07 AM
1 mom liked this

i lost my grandmother at the age of 53 due to smoking. she had a half of lung when she passed away no lie. i was only 10 years olod and i used to try to hide them from her. i watched her die slowly and it really hurted me. she really suffered and was in pain she died on christmas eve in 1988

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:09 AM

I am sorry for your loss.

Quoting Diamondblue1:

i lost my grandmother at the age of 53 due to smoking. she had a half of lung when she passed away no lie. i was only 10 years olod and i used to try to hide them from her. i watched her die slowly and it really hurted me. she really suffered and was in pain she died on christmas eve in 1988

Kitsun
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:12 AM
That may be, but if someone did it to me, again, I would be pissed off and liable to smack them. There's nothing worse than an adult being treated like a small child

Quoting 1lv2stks3nlz4ev:

I would do it out of love, not malice.

Quoting Kitsun:

Honestly, I stepped reading after you said you'd take it away.
It is your right to not smoke, and stay away from someone that is or does. Just as its my right to smoke, and stay away from someone that doesn't.
I had someone take my pack away, crumple it, and drop it in the trash outside because she didn't like MY choices. She got a good long hours worth of a tongue lashing from dh and the roomie who owned the house

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Well no matter how crappy it is for you peoe are going to do it. It isn't yours or anyone else's place or business to tell someone what to do with their bodies. At least it's just cigarettes not meth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Cigarettes played a role in my fathers death as did alcohol. He was almost 25 years sober but the alcohol still left it's mark. He never could break away from the cigarettes, well not until he was so sick he couldn't get up and my mom refused to let him smoke in the house. But what he went through was terrible to watch and I can't imagine what it was like for him. He battled colon cancer for almost 5 years. He asked the doctor if the years of alcohol abuse and cigarettes could have contributed to the cancer told him absolutely. My siblings and I are proud to say we broke both of those cycles. We come from a long line of alcoholics and smokers and none of us are. I just could never smoke. Not after watching what it did to my dad. I can still remember the sound of his cough and the sound of his breathing. I just don't get why you would ever start smoking but people do it all the time.

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:17 AM

I am hoping that people will see the other side of it. The pain they cause others. The heartache.

Quoting kmorales7690:

Well no matter how crappy it is for you peoe are going to do it. It isn't yours or anyone else's place or business to tell someone what to do with their bodies. At least it's just cigarettes not meth.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:18 AM
I understand where you are coming from and you have every right to express your feelings to yor loved ones but you have NO right to take their belongings and destroy them. You will have better luck changing someone's mind with your heartfelt concerns. And even that will most likely fall on deaf ears. You should know that as a former smoker.

Quoting 1lv2stks3nlz4ev:

Quoting Kitsun:

It is your right to not smoke, and stay away from someone that is or does. Just as its my right to smoke, and stay away from someone that doesn't.
I had someone take my pack away, crumple it, and drop it in the trash outside because she didn't like MY choices. She got a good long hours worth of a tongue lashing from dh and the roomie who owned the house

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:18 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad that you never started. I wish I never had. I don't want to put my kids through what we are going through right now. My risks are lowered, but still there.

Quoting jjchick75:

Cigarettes played a role in my fathers death as did alcohol. He was almost 25 years sober but the alcohol still left it's mark. He never could break away from the cigarettes, well not until he was so sick he couldn't get up and my mom refused to let him smoke in the house. But what he went through was terrible to watch and I can't imagine what it was like for him. He battled colon cancer for almost 5 years. He asked the doctor if the years of alcohol abuse and cigarettes could have contributed to the cancer told him absolutely. My siblings and I are proud to say we broke both of those cycles. We come from a long line of alcoholics and smokers and none of us are. I just could never smoke. Not after watching what it did to my dad. I can still remember the sound of his cough and the sound of his breathing. I just don't get why you would ever start smoking but people do it all the time.

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:20 AM

My heart was taken and now its being destroyed. Because of smoking. I do know... and I quit. My son flushed my smokes down the toilet, broke them into a million peices, threw them out... and I quit.

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand where you are coming from and you have every right to express your feelings to yor loved ones but you have NO right to take their belongings and destroy them. You will have better luck changing someone's mind with your heartfelt concerns. And even that will most likely fall on deaf ears. You should know that as a former smoker.

Quoting 1lv2stks3nlz4ev:

Quoting Kitsun:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I am a former, and while I do see all her points, I wouldn't try to hassle anyone to quit, although I would like to to my mom because she worries me, and her mom died of lung cancer, but I Know as a former smoker it really doesn't do squat to a smoker when you do that so I don't. It's really one of those things where a self revelation is needed.

Quoting Anonymous:

There's nothing worse than reformed smokers.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN