Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you smoke.....**UPDATED**

Shes Gone. Please consider quitting.

I am going to get up on my soap box here. Please listen up. Smoking Kills. Its ugly and painful and breaks the hearts of the people who love you. If you come near me with a cigerette in your hand or mouth I will do my best to take it away from you. Quit now, before you make your family feel like their world is coming to an end.  I am watching my mother in law fade away to nothing. She was the most vibrant, energetic loving person. She is the whole families rock. She is love personified. She is peace and joy. She is warm hugs, laughter you can feel in your soul and the ear you need when the world is trying to drag you under. I never knew that peice of my heart was missing until she filled it. And shes going to leave us soon.  Our hearts are breaking.

Within five years of quitting smoking there is a proven 13% reduction in the risk of death from all causes, a 47% risk reduction in heart disease-related deaths, and a 27% reduction in the risk of death from stroke.

Within 20 years of quitting, the risk of dying among former smokers was similar to that of lifetime nonsmokers for most causes of death, with the exception of lung cancer.

People who quit smoking have a lower risk of lung cancer than if they had continued to smoke.

I am 6 years, 5 months and 16 days smoke free. I know its hard. But watching someone you love so much they feel like an extention of your being slowly and painfully die is much much much harder. Don't be that person to someone else. Please quit.

**Added** I am sorry people feel like I am telling you what to do. I am heartbroken. I don't want to see anyone else suffer and if that means sounding like a quit smoking nazi then so be it. I am going to bed. Its been a long few days and its going to be a long few weeks... 6 weeks is what they estimate.  Please, for your loved ones, atleast consider quitting.

**To Clarify*** I would never snatch a smoke out of the hands of a stranger but if I might try to talk to them about quitting. Especially if they are smoking near me. At the very least I would ask them to either put it out or smoke elsewhere and explain why. My hope is that they will consider my words and the reason behind them and my tears of grief and make a good choice.  I only have a few people who are close to me who smoke and all of them have been in this room with my mother in law and have vowed to quit.

I am saddened by how many people are not concerned by what they are going to put their family through at the end. Ultimately its your choice, but if I could transfer my pain to you for just a minute so you can feel what I feel right now.... you wouldn't want to bring it on anyone you love. 

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Replies (31-40):
LHummel
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:55 AM

BUMP!

Ayla-bellesmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:02 AM
I never ever preach about smoking because I know people hate it ( reformed smoker here too lol) but mama, you sound like you are SO ready.

I would never hammer on at someone who didn't want to quit because no-one is going to stop until they're ready but to me, it sounds like you are all but done. I've been where you are, I know that feeling of just being tired of it and the guilt every time you think about it and I'm telling you, you are already there in your head and that's most of the battle, right there.

I think you know you're ready and you just have to take that first step.

The thing is, the worst case scenario is that you give up and you're right where you are now. Best case scenario is that you surprise the hell out of yourself and that you kick it's ass.

You will never regret quitting, I promise you. If you do decide to quit and you need to talk....or even if you need help .....pm me.

OK....lecture over. Lol

Quoting want10more:

i don't like reformed smokers, they are like holier than thou. but damn skippy they ain't wrong. i do NOT like to hear it, but but i hurt my kids, my hubby n myself by being a  smoker. i HATE being a smoker, i just am not stong nuff to stop yet. hopefully i can soon. it's not just being smelly the yellow teeth the yellow nails. its the lung cancer, the FACT that i am doing something WILLINGLY that will take me away from my kids before i need to go. they should not have to see mommy fight to breathe, die from cancer. it is not just my body i am hurting,  i am hurting my whole family, becuz of a weakness and i hate that weakness. and the reason i don't like hearing it is becuz it hits too close to home. smoking equals death. period. and oh, i so don't want to go down that way, God willing i'd beat it before then.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sissykay78
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:13 AM
I smoked 20 years and even a bout of Dvts and pulmonary embolisms didn't make me stop..I did stop almost 3 years ago. By my choice cause I was getting tired of being short of breath..But no one in my life or online could tell me to quit. I quit for all of my pregnancies..I have lots of friends and fmaily that smoke and I never preach to them! Their old enough to know the risks. Hell its written right there on the pack:P
mrs-mudge
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:14 AM
i for one enjoy smoking. it calms my nerves, relaxes me, and gives me a moment to mself. but all in all...i wish i could quit. i have tried....i want to so bad. it kills. it cost wayyyy to much. it hurts others. i enjoy my smokes but it just sucks. wsh me,luck on quitting....i wanna do it not for me, but for my mom, my kids...my hubby...then myself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Unfortunately quitting smoking sometimes kills you too.. My cousin quit smoking 3 months later was dx with cancer in the lymph nodes then it spread to his brain, he died a few months later, my mom never smoked a day in her life and died of cancer. When I was dx with cancer the dr told me straight out my smoking had nothing to do with it, its genetics.

Its usually those who have quit smoking who blame everything on smoking ,

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Yeah, because we don't know all of this.
cLanief
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Its not your responsibility to dictate how people kill themselves. Ex smokers are the fucking worst hypocrits ever.
sugareemommee
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM
I quit but I do not agree with you taking people's cigs from them. It's incredibly rude.

I support what you're saying and agree - but please don't snatch adult's cigarettes from their hands.

I'm teaching my 2 year old not to ever snatch something out of someone's hands..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM
It's addictive. This post is about as effective as making a PSA on the dangers of meth
sugareemommee
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM
You can! 6 weeks ago I smoked a pack every two days. I still loved smoking when I quit. Especially with my coffee. But you can do it, we just make excuses for ourselves until we feel we're ready. Problem is, the addiction will never tell us were ready, you have to take control! You'll get there momma :)

Quoting mrs-mudge:

i for one enjoy smoking. it calms my nerves, relaxes me, and gives me a moment to mself. but all in all...i wish i could quit. i have tried....i want to so bad. it kills. it cost wayyyy to much. it hurts others. i enjoy my smokes but it just sucks. wsh me,luck on quitting....i wanna do it not for me, but for my mom, my kids...my hubby...then myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN