Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you smoke.....**UPDATED**

Shes Gone. Please consider quitting.

I am going to get up on my soap box here. Please listen up. Smoking Kills. Its ugly and painful and breaks the hearts of the people who love you. If you come near me with a cigerette in your hand or mouth I will do my best to take it away from you. Quit now, before you make your family feel like their world is coming to an end.  I am watching my mother in law fade away to nothing. She was the most vibrant, energetic loving person. She is the whole families rock. She is love personified. She is peace and joy. She is warm hugs, laughter you can feel in your soul and the ear you need when the world is trying to drag you under. I never knew that peice of my heart was missing until she filled it. And shes going to leave us soon.  Our hearts are breaking.

Within five years of quitting smoking there is a proven 13% reduction in the risk of death from all causes, a 47% risk reduction in heart disease-related deaths, and a 27% reduction in the risk of death from stroke.

Within 20 years of quitting, the risk of dying among former smokers was similar to that of lifetime nonsmokers for most causes of death, with the exception of lung cancer.

People who quit smoking have a lower risk of lung cancer than if they had continued to smoke.

I am 6 years, 5 months and 16 days smoke free. I know its hard. But watching someone you love so much they feel like an extention of your being slowly and painfully die is much much much harder. Don't be that person to someone else. Please quit.

**Added** I am sorry people feel like I am telling you what to do. I am heartbroken. I don't want to see anyone else suffer and if that means sounding like a quit smoking nazi then so be it. I am going to bed. Its been a long few days and its going to be a long few weeks... 6 weeks is what they estimate.  Please, for your loved ones, atleast consider quitting.

**To Clarify*** I would never snatch a smoke out of the hands of a stranger but if I might try to talk to them about quitting. Especially if they are smoking near me. At the very least I would ask them to either put it out or smoke elsewhere and explain why. My hope is that they will consider my words and the reason behind them and my tears of grief and make a good choice.  I only have a few people who are close to me who smoke and all of them have been in this room with my mother in law and have vowed to quit.

I am saddened by how many people are not concerned by what they are going to put their family through at the end. Ultimately its your choice, but if I could transfer my pain to you for just a minute so you can feel what I feel right now.... you wouldn't want to bring it on anyone you love. 

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Replies (91-94):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I know, I know, I try but not matter what I know, I'm just not ready yet to quit. I wish I never started. I started at 22 while working in a bar and I'm asthmatic, have been since I was 3. Someone told me, id stop having attacks if I smoked. Id just lost a close family member and wasn't in a good place. So I did and I stopped having attacks. I use my inhaler half as much as before. Strange huh? Every time I try to quit, within a day I'm hospitalized with low o2 levels and a bad attack. Doesn't make sense does it. I have Dr who tell me that I need to quit for my lungs sake and in the same breath tell me based on my history, it could be dangerous. I'm not sure how much I believe it, but one Dr told me its something with the nicotine that helps BUT its the toxins in burning the tobacco that bad. I just saw my Dr today, working a new plan to stop smoking and using an e cigarette to start with instead of the patch, which did not help at all:(

If you came up to me and snatched a cigarette out of my hand, you'd make me cry. Id cry because a complete stranger cared enough about another stranger. If you lectured me that may be a different story.
ksueditz
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. My grandma died f/ complications of emphysema 12 years ago this June. Watching her suffer was heartbreaking.
My mom quit cold turkey 4-5 years ago, after her hysterectomy. My dad quit 29 years ago. My brother quit last year. I would give anything if my other brother would quit. I know my son's are happy their dad, my exh, quit about 3 months ago. I've seen them struggle to quit, but they all believe it was worth it. My mom, my brother and my exh, all quit, b/c they wanted to live to see their children grow up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:42 AM
Hey girl, how are you doing? 8th day and I'm doing okay. Other than the day long gloom; the only thing making me crazy is the sleepless nights and the resultant fatigue. I just want to sleep but my mind is always racing.

Quoting want10more:

i am a smoker. damn near life long. i LOVE smoking and do not wish to give it up. i just wish someone would give it up FOR me, so that i wouldn't have to do it myself. reformed smokers and non smokers yes piss me off. cuz i don't wanna hear it. i've never thot myself unintelligent but yet, someone tellin me smoking is detrimental to my health, well, i don't wanna hear it. why? cuz it's true. someone PLEASE tell me why it's GOOD to smoke or chew. so you get yellow teeth and nails, you stink, the smoke ages your face faster, your lip or lungs could/would get cancer. the upside is WHAT? just a really good way to take your own life, slowly and painfully over a great number of years while you get to tell your kids, well, ur really cute but i'd rather kill myself than see my grandkids???????????? see you grow up see you go to prom graduate go to college? nope i wanna smoke and/or chew, so i get to die first. by MY choice. cuz you precious kids? just ain't so important as my addiction. and i'm sure when i die slowly and painfully way too early, you'll totally understand WHY i gave you up for cancer sticks. what mom wouldn't?

want10more
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:16 AM

i'm crabby as hell. cleaning like a demon stepford wife,  but way more bitchy! quittin dt coke too so i'll be a serial killer by next monday. heh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)