Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was raised to believe this.

Posted by   + Show Post
I don't want to bash anyone or rain on anyone's parade but I have a question or idk debate? When a lot of different issues come up be it abortion, gay marriage, religion, etc. so many people justify their stance (usually of a form of intorelance) by saying 'I was raised that way' or 'that's what I was taught growing up' 'that's what my mother/father/preacher/rabbi/whoever taught me'

I was raised in a very conservative (bigoted) family. Homosexuals are mentally ill and were sexual abused as children that's why they are homosexual. Interracial marriage is wrong. Abortion at any stage, for any reason, is murder. And countless others. But, I grew up. I moved away from home and I realized that most of the things I was raised to believe weren't true. And that it's wrong to see them the way I was raised.

I don't want to bash anyone but for those of you who have used this excuse. Have you read your religious book for yourself? Or just taken someone else's preachings as fact? Do you ever wonder that maybe, if you distanced yourself from the subject and took an unbiased look at it you would feel differently? Have you ever tried to put yourself in that other persons shoes before you judge or condemn them?

ETA: because someone was offended by it. After I called my family conservative and added in bigoted I was making the distinction that while they do align with a lot of conservative beliefs and ideals my family is also very bigoted. I didn't want to imply that all conservatives thought the same as my family.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:56 AM
Replies (11-20):
paganmommy4
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:01 AM

It takes someone to realize that holy crap, they were wrong. My mother would tell me kinda crap stuff all the time. I was raised to believe that everyone has freewill. Gay people are normal, the interracial marriages were wrong, so it was kinda messed up. I was also raised that you are to grow up and be someones wife and mother to their kids, you accept his mistress, you wear makeup, you cook dinner, you look presentable at all times because its my job to make my husband happy.. wow..

Diamondblue1
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:01 AM

well everyone have to find out the truth for themselves in some point in life.

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:02 AM
Sadly, even though my parents haven't been to church in years and my mother can't tell you if the 10 commandments are in the new or Old Testament, they still feel that way. :-(

Quoting marihla:

I did that myself, distanced myself from my childhood learnings that is. I just don't feel the same as my parents did (which were similar beliefs to your parents)... and now they don't believe any of that anymore either. I think each person should choose their own views and their own lives.

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:02 AM
Hmm...are you too from the south? Lol

Quoting paganmommy4:

It takes someone to realize that holy crap, they were wrong. My mother would tell me kinda crap stuff all the time. I was raised to believe that everyone has freewill. Gay people are normal, the interracial marriages were wrong, so it was kinda messed up. I was also raised that you are to grow up and be someones wife and mother to their kids, you accept his mistress, you wear makeup, you cook dinner, you look presentable at all times because its my job to make my husband happy.. wow..

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:03 AM
Very true

Quoting Diamondblue1:

well everyone have to find out the truth for themselves in some point in life.

marihla
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Well I can't tell you I still agree with my parents though. My mom is into some weird stuff which always changes once she's been drinking so I can't keep a conversation with her. I'm happy believing what I believe, and I'm more readily able to give love now that I've found my niche. I love myself and that's all I need.

Quoting RMB2011:

Sadly, even though my parents haven't been to church in years and my mother can't tell you if the 10 commandments are in the new or Old Testament, they still feel that way. :-(

Quoting marihla:

I did that myself, distanced myself from my childhood learnings that is. I just don't feel the same as my parents did (which were similar beliefs to your parents)... and now they don't believe any of that anymore either. I think each person should choose their own views and their own lives.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:06 AM

I am uncomfortable seeing you label your family as conservative immediately following identifying them as bigoted. As if a conservative is a bigot. I myself am a conservative, and don't have any of the mind set you mention here. 

Bluerose1482
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that alot of people fall back on the "I was raised that way" when it really is something that they believe, but they are looking for a way to not have to consider other options and hear other opinions. 

paganmommy4
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Nope. I live in oregon.. I swear if my mom could put me in finishing school when i was younger she would of

Quoting RMB2011:

Hmm...are you too from the south? Lol

Quoting paganmommy4:

kansasmom1978
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:08 AM

I've read the Bible cover to cover. I may not agree with something a person does or says, but it's not my place to judge. Keep your life out of mine and we won't have a problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)