Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was raised to believe this.

Posted by   + Show Post
I don't want to bash anyone or rain on anyone's parade but I have a question or idk debate? When a lot of different issues come up be it abortion, gay marriage, religion, etc. so many people justify their stance (usually of a form of intorelance) by saying 'I was raised that way' or 'that's what I was taught growing up' 'that's what my mother/father/preacher/rabbi/whoever taught me'

I was raised in a very conservative (bigoted) family. Homosexuals are mentally ill and were sexual abused as children that's why they are homosexual. Interracial marriage is wrong. Abortion at any stage, for any reason, is murder. And countless others. But, I grew up. I moved away from home and I realized that most of the things I was raised to believe weren't true. And that it's wrong to see them the way I was raised.

I don't want to bash anyone but for those of you who have used this excuse. Have you read your religious book for yourself? Or just taken someone else's preachings as fact? Do you ever wonder that maybe, if you distanced yourself from the subject and took an unbiased look at it you would feel differently? Have you ever tried to put yourself in that other persons shoes before you judge or condemn them?

ETA: because someone was offended by it. After I called my family conservative and added in bigoted I was making the distinction that while they do align with a lot of conservative beliefs and ideals my family is also very bigoted. I didn't want to imply that all conservatives thought the same as my family.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:56 AM
Replies (21-30):
RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:08 AM
1 mom liked this
My family is conservative, but they are also largely bigoted that is why I added that. I didn't want to lump all conservatives into the crazies that are my family.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am uncomfortable seeing you label your family as conservative immediately following identifying them as bigoted. As if a conservative is a bigot. I myself am a conservative, and don't have any of the mind set you mention here. 

JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:09 AM
Thats good for you but not everyone gets there. Not everybody wants to or feels like they can. Not that thats right..... It just is what it is.
RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:09 AM
Thank you for your answer.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

I've read the Bible cover to cover. I may not agree with something a person does or says, but it's not my place to judge. Keep your life out of mine and we won't have a problem.

Blue_Spiral
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I was raised to question "worldly" authority, which actually led to my questioning of my church's authority, and led me to becoming a liberal atheist lol.

So, I'm grateful for that aspect of it :)

I remember arguing as a teenager that gay people were sinning until I was blue in the face lol, and I even remember clearly thinking to myself, "I don't even understand my own points, and these people are making better points than me, but it's what my religion says so I'm right."

It's great when a person can grow up intellectually as well as physically.

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:12 AM
My mom did enroll me in finishing school! Damn table manners lol

Quoting paganmommy4:

Nope. I live in oregon.. I swear if my mom could put me in finishing school when i was younger she would of

Quoting RMB2011:

Hmm...are you too from the south? Lol

Quoting paganmommy4:

It takes someone to realize that holy crap, they were wrong. My mother would tell me kinda crap stuff all the time. I was raised to believe that everyone has freewill. Gay people are normal, the interracial marriages were wrong, so it was kinda messed up. I was also raised that you are to grow up and be someones wife and mother to their kids, you accept his mistress, you wear makeup, you cook dinner, you look presentable at all times because its my job to make my husband happy.. wow..

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:15 AM
I did the same. As a young teen I was right with my church picketing abortion clinics and shunning African Americans. I hate myself for it. It wasn't until I actually started to question things that I realized what I had been raised in was wrong. And it hurt so much to pull away from it but I finally did. Now, I consider my self a Christian, in the aspect that I believe in Christ and his teachings. Not the rest of it though. I like my fleece blend pants lol

Quoting Blue_Spiral:

I was raised to question "worldly" authority, which actually led to my questioning of my church's authority, and led me to becoming a liberal atheist lol.

So, I'm grateful for that aspect of it :)

I remember arguing as a teenager that gay people were sinning until I was blue in the face lol, and I even remember clearly thinking to myself, "I don't even understand my own points, and these people are making better points than me, but it's what my religion says so I'm right."

It's great when a person can grow up intellectually as well as physically.

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:16 AM
Very true. It was very hard for me. After being raised that African Americans were 'evil' and homosexuals wanted to 'turn' me it was eye opening to get to basic training are realize it was all a lie.

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

Thats good for you but not everyone gets there. Not everybody wants to or feels like they can. Not that thats right..... It just is what it is.
boldrumble
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:17 AM
I was raised to think for myself....and believe some of the things in your op.

Quoting RMB2011:

Well I'm glad someone was raised that way. Lol I didn't realize what 'thinking for myself' was until I joined the military. As ironic as that sounds lol

Quoting KristenFowles:

I was raised to think for myself.. And I really appreciate my parents allowing me to come to conclusions on my own, and answer my questions openly, but in a way in which there was no push towards one side or the other.

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:20 AM
Then that's what you believe. As long as you are educated about it, have empathy for others, and you aren't trying to force your beliefs on anyone else I have no problem with it.

Quoting boldrumble:

I was raised to think for myself....and believe some of the things in your op.

Quoting RMB2011:

Well I'm glad someone was raised that way. Lol I didn't realize what 'thinking for myself' was until I joined the military. As ironic as that sounds lol

Quoting KristenFowles:

I was raised to think for myself.. And I really appreciate my parents allowing me to come to conclusions on my own, and answer my questions openly, but in a way in which there was no push towards one side or the other.

Paige42986
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:21 AM

I am a Christian but I would never put any one down for their beliefs no matter what they are. I am not a bigoted person at. I get tired of people thinking that because I am a Christian I will be hateful and that is so far from who I am! I was raised in a home that was a Christian home but was also taught to be good to all people. I think for myself and have my own opinions but they are never hateful and mean!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN