Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was raised to believe this.

Posted by   + Show Post
I don't want to bash anyone or rain on anyone's parade but I have a question or idk debate? When a lot of different issues come up be it abortion, gay marriage, religion, etc. so many people justify their stance (usually of a form of intorelance) by saying 'I was raised that way' or 'that's what I was taught growing up' 'that's what my mother/father/preacher/rabbi/whoever taught me'

I was raised in a very conservative (bigoted) family. Homosexuals are mentally ill and were sexual abused as children that's why they are homosexual. Interracial marriage is wrong. Abortion at any stage, for any reason, is murder. And countless others. But, I grew up. I moved away from home and I realized that most of the things I was raised to believe weren't true. And that it's wrong to see them the way I was raised.

I don't want to bash anyone but for those of you who have used this excuse. Have you read your religious book for yourself? Or just taken someone else's preachings as fact? Do you ever wonder that maybe, if you distanced yourself from the subject and took an unbiased look at it you would feel differently? Have you ever tried to put yourself in that other persons shoes before you judge or condemn them?

ETA: because someone was offended by it. After I called my family conservative and added in bigoted I was making the distinction that while they do align with a lot of conservative beliefs and ideals my family is also very bigoted. I didn't want to imply that all conservatives thought the same as my family.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:56 AM
Replies (41-41):
Amiehart62
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I just no for me, if I am going through something I don't want to be kicked I want, at the very least, understanding and if I can have support even better.

I am a pretty conservative person. But I know people are different than I am and I won't call it tolerant, it's not the right word, but I accept that people are different and I can at least try and appreciate it. I have no idea what these people could end up doing with their lives and with the suicide rate going up in young people who knows if the person meant to cure cancer is dead because they were teased or something like that. The world makes me sad. I know it's strange to hear someone who identifies with being conservative say that...the conservative view is for myself though, not for me to put onto others!

People throw their beliefs around and it's embarrassing. Every belief system I have read about at some point try's to teach compassion for people and most over look this and it's very sad and quite frankly scary.

Quoting RMB2011:

Very true! Compassion goes a long way, whether you see it's effects or not.

Quoting Amiehart62:

I was raised not pass judgement and to show compassion for people who suffer whether I agreed with something or not. Most people who live a lifestyle that is different than what society thinks is acceptable suffers in some way and On a very basic human level this is sad NO MATTER HOW ANYONE FEELS ABOUT IT!

Less judgement more understanding and a little compassion goes a long way even if its not something you would choose for yourself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN