Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I being too cheap?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Okay, so we going to disney and to the beach. WE are driving just shy of 1900 miles round trip. (estimated fuel cost around 400$)

To save money I plan to Bring most our food with us. Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

On the road I will pack breakfast and lunch and we will eat a hot dinner once we reach our friends home.

Breakfast on the road will be muffins and fruit (apple, banana, or frozen grapes) Drink will be flavored water i got on sale haha)

Lunch will be Sandwhiches , chips and fruit and veggies! (water or pre frozen lemonaid in bottles)

And so on...

Dh says hat I am INSANE to bring a bunch of food.

But I will save hundreds of dollars if I do this!

I can bring tuna which I got for free

Drinks which again I only paid cents for

cereal which was free

oatmeal

side dishes

etc...

Only really need to buy meats.

I have spent a total of 17 dollars for almost 7 dyas worth of food, drink and snack. aside from meat which I wont buy until there. Our trip is 9 days buy I figure we can splurge and buy food out as a treat since it is a vasation! :)

AM I CRAZY? OR TOO CHEAP?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:12 AM
Replies (51-60):
Sandiekd21
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I am taking my kids on a road trip this week. We leave on Thursday.
I am taking road food.
The first night, we will not be having 'dinner', just each of the kids will have a lunchable. Plus we'll have snacks and drinks for them for the rest of the day.
I think it's insane NOT to have road food.

MamaBurmie
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM
I think if you have the time to plan all that out and the space in your vehicle then why not?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I wouldn' put chocolate into my kids on a long car ride.  :)  I would give them a hard boiled egg instead.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is the one pinned. :) Kids loved it! Not really sure how much is in it though honestly :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Do they?  What recipe do you use and how many grams do they provide?

Quoting Anonymous:

How do you know my muffins have no protein?

Quoting Anonymous:

I think your food choices are bad.  Children need protein in their breakfast and adult need at least 80 grams a day.  A muffin provides 0 grams of protein.  If you choose to bring food, at least make it a balanced, healthy meal.

I do not drive on trips over 250 miles.  I choose to fly and rent a car on the other end, but i have no financial restrictions.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM

While that is agreat idea, we like to eat vegan meals once a day and that is always breakfast.

Quoting Anonymous  :

I wouldn' put chocolate into my kids on a long car ride.  :)  I would give them a hard boiled egg instead.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is the one pinned. :) Kids loved it! Not really sure how much is in it though honestly :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I think your food choices are bad.  Children need protein in their breakfast and adult need at least 80 grams a day.  A muffin provides 0 grams of protein.  If you choose to bring food, at least make it a balanced, healthy meal.

I do not drive on trips over 250 miles.  I choose to fly and rent a car on the other end, but i have no financial restrictions.

Pnukey
by Jenn on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:41 AM

We do the same thing for long trips, so I think you're doing it right.

Bekki
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Good idea. And way healthier than fast food!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM

That is admirable.  I have been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for 30 years.

I have never found vegan chocolate chips though unless they are the really bitter dark chocolate variety that are nearly inedible.  What brand do you use?

Quoting Anonymous:

While that is agreat idea, we like to eat vegan meals once a day and that is always breakfast.

Quoting Anonymous  :

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

momof6nokc
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM
LOL! I have 2 crockpots and they travel with us as well!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh we wont only be eating sandwhiches! I am bringing my crock pot and will buy meat once there too!

Quoting momof6nokc:

Brilliant!

I have 6 kids and when we road trip, which is a FANTASTIC way to see this beautiful country, I always pack a cooler of food. We find neat places to pull over and have a picnic and let everyone walk off energy.

At Disney be sure to bring plenty of snack foods but do let your child get some treats as well. They have cute Mickey ice cream cones, apples and caramel, etc. that are fun.

Also I think the food at the restaurants is fine---not wonderful but definitely a good option if you guys get tired of sandwiches every day.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I use these  If I cant get my hands on them at the time then I just run to kroger and grab the bars LOL!

Quoting Anonymous:

That is admirable.  I have been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for 30 years.

I have never found vegan chocolate chips though unless they are the really bitter dark chocolate variety that are nearly inedible.  What brand do you use?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous  :

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

CutieCrab
by Jen on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Neither!  That is smart!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)