Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yet another post about public assistance, but can you answer this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 258 Replies
3 moms liked this

I am a full time working mom of three. i currently am receiving food stamps. The other day i was thinking about how i just want to better our lives for my family. I want to get my degree so i can get a better job so financially i will be able to stop getting public assistance.

So i decided lets do it lets continue working, go to school part time online so i can still manage my home life as well. well i got shot down pretty fast. If i were to go back to school i would loose my food stamps and well honestly we would need them until i got that degree to get a better job. the only way i could get assistance is if i only worked part time or did work study(which doesn't pay minimum wage) there is no way i can do that due to my bills. 

i just don't get it, you would think they would be willing to help you better your life so they don't have to help support you anymore.. can anyone answer me why i cant better my life???

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JNLmomme09
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Idk bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:09 AM
8 moms liked this
I'm sorry but this is why people get an education BEFORE having kids. This is exactly why.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:11 AM
3 moms liked this
why would u lose food stamps for going to school? thats not true !
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:11 AM
How does going back to school mean you don't get food stamps anymore? I got them when I was in school. Not bei g a bitch, just honestly asking.
CrimsonGrace
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM
3 moms liked this
I have no idea, but that seems crazy to me. You want to better your life, you want to go to school to get a better job and not need assistance and they say no??? This is what is wrong with the system in my opinion, they don't help people help themselves.
HousewifeNina
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Lots.of women on here have posted that they have used pa for years while they went to.school.
Maybe look into other resources?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hip2it
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM
5 moms liked this

I think our PA system needs an overhaul.  While the idea is that it's there to help you get back on your feet, their magical cut off numbers amaze me.  Just because you make X amount doesn't mean you can suddenly afford food, medical care, daycare, etc (whatever all PA pays for).  It's almost like it's designed to keep you on it.

mstricey
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM
That doesn't sound right. What state is that?
AjsMom0508
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM
In my state if you are a student you can't receive food assistance. Makes no sense.
hplesha
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM
2 moms liked this
Probably because you already work full time. That's why they won't help. I applied for cash assistance when i didn't have a job and they made me go to this work first program. Either i had to find a job or they would pay up to $5,000 for a one year program. But that's a once in a lifetime thing.. i don't think they help ones who already have a full time job. See if you qualify for financial aid. Apply through fafsa.gov to see if you qualify for grants
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)