Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I want to get a puppy, but..

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 52 Replies

I am scared to death of house training! My boys are older now, 5 and 7 (almost 6 and 8) and they are DYING for a puppy. We were never allowed to have an animal growing up and it sucked. I hate to never let them have a dog, but I have never house trained a dog before and I wouldn't know where to begin. Not to mention my carpet is so light colored it is almost white, I have a feeling it would be stained up like crazy. How long does it typically take to fully train a puppy? Any tips? I still haven't decided if I will get them one or not, just thinking about it. DS5 really wants a cat but I am so allergic to them no way could I have one in the house. I feel bad, it seems like everyone we know at least has a dog. All we have is one goldfish lol

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EvaTheDiva29
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

typically, 2-3 weeks. it can take longer if the pup is stubborn. 

my suggestion is, start out with an already house broke dog. rescue from a shelter, 99% of the time theyre house broke. get one who is not puppy, but not old either. maybe 1 1/2-3 yrs old. 

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM
3 moms liked this
We have a six mo old puppy. I wouldnt get rid of him now, but I wish we had never gotren him
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SunshineBird
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Adopt an adult dog! If you go on Petfinder.com you can check off the options you want in your dog like house trained, good with kids, good with other pets, etc. the puppy stage only lasts a few months anyway so why not just skip it? :)

lovinmama411
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:00 AM

We are def. going to get one from the shelter. I've been looking at their website for a couple days now, checking out what they have. That's a good idea, I think I will look more at the adult dogs. I've mostly been looking at small dogs (it seems like all of them say they aren't good with kids in their description) and puppies. Thanks

Quoting EvaTheDiva29:

my suggestion is, start out with an already house broke dog. rescue from a shelter, 99% of the time theyre house broke. get one who is not puppy, but not old either. maybe 1 1/2-3 yrs old. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Yes!

Quoting EvaTheDiva29:

lovinmama411
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Yep, lol. That's what I'm afraid of. Getting one and the kids love it but within a day I regret it lol. I go to school full time, but I am only gone for 1-2 hours at a time, either once or twice a day. So I feel like I have the time and with spring coming up it is probably a good time to get one. Oh decisions decisions lol. DS7 will be 8 in a couple weeks, they would be on cloud 9 if I surprised him with a dog for his bday.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

We have a six mo old puppy. I wouldnt get rid of him now, but I wish we had never gotren him

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Why get a puppy when there are plenty of young(1-3yr old) dogs in shelters that have a death date looming over their heads?
All my dogs were resuces, all were already house trained, and all are the most loving, gentle, caring dogs I have EVER met.

Just a thought.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Quoting peanutsmommy1:

U and me both!!!! :/ I wish I could get rid of him but, growing up with a mother who got rid of pets all the time, I couldn't do it to my kids. They're only 1 and 3 but I think they would realize if the puppy was no longer here. But im at my wits end. I told my husband today he needs obedient school, or a new place to live....
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM
We got him from the shelter and didnt know he was par shephard of some sort. I feel like I spend all day with either my son screaming because the dog is biting his pants or shirt sleeves or me telling the dog to get his paws off of something. And this week he has taken to digging holes in our yard.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, yes, we have him enrolled in training classes
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovinmama411
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM

We are getting a shelter animal, I've already checked out their guidelines, pricing, and I have been looking at the dogs they have up for adoption right now. There are many puppies, but looking at dogs a little older like you said may be a good idea. None of them say they are already housebroken though, so IDK if that's just not something they are including in the description or if they are just rare. Thanks, I think I will take another look and pay more attention to the slighty older dogs.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why get a puppy when there are plenty of young(1-3yr old) dogs in shelters that have a death date looming over their heads?
All my dogs were resuces, all were already house trained, and all are the most loving, gentle, caring dogs I have EVER met.

Just a thought.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)