Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD is fed up with her drama-queen grandmother! What do I do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

We're in town to visit her father (who lives with his elderly mother).We're staying at their house.  Grandma tends to be a bit of a drama queen, and yells at dd (4) to be quiet all the time. DD isn't being naughty-she's just playing with dad.  Grandma and dad argue constantly as well (they have a volatile relationship). Well dd has had enough, and now hides out when grandma wakes up and is in the livingroom. She doesn't want to hug grandma, and doesn't even want to say "good morning" to her.

What do I do? I don't want her to dislike her grandma, but grandma makes it hard for her to like her...kwim?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM
4 moms liked this
Stick up for her when she's being yelled at! She doesn't have to like her grandmother but it's sad she's afraid of her!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Talk to grandma and ask her to tone it down a little?  I wouldn't do anything regarding your dd.  You can't make her like someone and it sounds like she's making an appropriate decision.

mommie2twogirls
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I would go stay elsewhere and have dad come to you to see her

karlie2
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Yes I do. My mom rarely sees her grandkids and often yells at them when she does. Wish I had some good advise. When my mom is extra grouchy we take the kids to the park or movie to give her some down time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I suggested that, but her dad was offended.

Quoting mommie2twogirls:

sarahbsquare
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM

you have to teach your daughter tolarance of others and there's a high chance grandma was raised that way and doesn't know any better.

inspain
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM

My DD cannot stand my mother.  I tried to keep it from happening, but my mother's nastiness, lying and volitile temper made it impossible.  DD never wants to see her again and that's my mother's  fault.

mommie2twogirls
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Maybe explain to him that you dont want his mothers bitch attitude (ok maybe dont use those words lol) to effect his daughter wanting to come see him in the future and you want trips to see him to be happy not stressful for dd ya know?

Quoting Anonymous:

I suggested that, but her dad was offended.

Quoting mommie2twogirls:

PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Don't stay with Grandma, stay at a hotel and visit. It is not fair to your kid.  Talk to the woman and tell her she's ruining her relationship and your daughter doesn't want to be around her because she is constantly yelling at her.  If she doesn't get it.  Stop visiting her.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Talk to her grandma about it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured