Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ex and his wife are refusing to feed our children enough

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 113 Replies

I have 2 boys with my ex. They are 15 and 17, they play high school football in the fall (football camp starts in the summer and they play well into November). Then they do weight training throughout the rest of the year. They are VERY active and they eat a lot.

While they are doing foot ball they both need about 4,000 calories per day, this is per a discussion I had with their pediatrician and their coach. When it is not football season and they are just doing weight lifting, they need about 2400.

Yes, this gets expensive because they do eat a lot but that's part of having healthy, active teen boys. But my ex and his wife are always complaining about the boys. They try to give them the same size portions as they give SM's 12 year old boy who doesn't do sports and then wonder why the boys are still starving. My ex has actually told the boys that if they want more to eat, they can get jobs and buy food themselves. I am sorry but until they are 18 it is our responsibility to feed them according to what they need.

My sons hate going over there but I have always tried to convince them to go anyway to see their dad. At this point, I am done with it, I will tell my boys they don't have to if they don't want to (the court order sepcifically says once they are 15, visitation is up to them).

They are over there this weekend and this is the last time I will force them. I told my ex that too. I also told him to consider himself lucky because I feed them all the time AND their friends, he should have no problem giving them enough for 4 days a month.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this
You can.have the boy's tell.this to your lawyer... your boys are of age to decide. Your ex has to provide the proper nutrition.
Two_Hearts
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I'd just stop convincing them to go, the ex can't do anything about it if it is in the court documents that the children have a say once they are 15.

Ms.Pink.
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM
2 moms liked this
They are old enough to decide now if they wanna go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree with both of you, they are old enough to decide if they want to go.

Feeding them to "play" a sport is NOT a need. Stop being so nit-picky.

loving_my2boys
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM
I would either stop telling them to go see him or give them money/food to use while over there.
seksen
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM
5 moms liked this
Good Lord what parent does that?? Seriously my almost 3 year old will eat like an adult. Teenaged boys that are in sports ( I have a nephew) eat like horses!! Poor kids and shame on your ex!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, yep, the kids are probably old enough to say they don't want to go over there, but I'd be damned as a parent if MY kids are going to eat me out of house and home as well. They aren't going to starve not inhaling calories at an astonishing rate for two days. 

Actually, nah- I'd give in to you- I'd buy some MREs and have them out for when the boys are 'starving'. There- now they have the food they NEED.

I can't believe some parents... I know PLENTY of kids who played football in high school and I don't remember any of their parents feeding them any more then any other growing kid. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM
6 moms liked this
Nit picky? I know it's so nitpicky to worry about the nutrition of our children.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with both of you, they are old enough to decide if they want to go.

Feeding them to "play" a sport is NOT a need. Stop being so nit-picky.

hddcooper
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this
That's crazy! SO has a son who eats a lot so if it's a tight week when his kids visit , I just make sure I get foods that make cheaper meals! I would never want him to go hungry! That would hurt my heart!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Teenage kids do eat like horses- which is why I find it odd that OP is saying her kids need xyz number of calories per day. I have NEVER heard of a doctor telling a parent they need to amp up their kids' caloric intake as a teenager just for a sport. 

I'm wondering what the kids are eating at the OP's house for that type of caloric intake. 

As well, I have a 17 year old who wants to 'bulk' up- it's not my responsiblity to go buy a hundred pounds of protein shakes for him to 'bulk up'. He gets the same food we've always had- if he wants a second helping or third- go for it, but I'm not intentionally going to put 4000 calories in front of him to assist his sudden WANT to put in muscle. It's not a need- it's a want.

Quoting seksen:

Good Lord what parent does that?? Seriously my almost 3 year old will eat like an adult. Teenaged boys that are in sports ( I have a nephew) eat like horses!! Poor kids and shame on your ex!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)