Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do I do with a greedy kid?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies
I have a 10 year old daughter and I think she is greedy. I will buy snacks and she will eat almost all of its content in a day or two. For example, I bought a box of doughnut holes and the next day there were only 3 left. Bottle of orange juice, gone except a couple of swallows. One time she ate 15 snack size chips out of a 20 pack case. She sneaks all of it. I Never actually see her eating it. No matter what I do or say, she continues to do this. She doesn't consider whether or not anybody else wants anything. She just thinks of herself. I have to explain over and over again why what she is doing is unacceptable but she continues to do it. She isn't overweight. She just acts as if I deprive her. Like she's storing food for the winter. I hide it, she finds it. I stop buying it for a while and then I think she's learned her lesson but she hasn't. She even gets up in the middle of the night when everybody is asleep.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thePBandJmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Separate a portion for her and tell her that when her share its gone, its gone.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Talk to her about it, let her know that they are for everyone and she can not do that. If it continues she will pay to replace them. If she is getting up, maybe lock the snacks up. My son was snweaking snacks for a while till we caught him. When we did he got spanked, was told he would be replacing them all if it happened again and the snacks got moved to a high shelf. It hasn't happened since.

Nature_girl
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Eating disorder?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Stop buying junk...then she won't have any to eat!
Katalystic
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately, from what the OP is saying- her child won't listen and won't respect that type of house rule.

OP- it caused a huge crap storm when I said it online years ago, but I locked up the sweets when my daughter started doing that. I mean- she'd sneak anything she could get into. Including my nasty, nasty Nutrisystem food (which I was choking down because it was gross, but she was sneaking because there were snacks in there- nasty, nasty snacks). 

Leave out healthy food that you don't mind her gorging on and keep the sweets locked up.

Quoting thePBandJmom:

Separate a portion for her and tell her that when her share its gone, its gone.

Katalystic
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM

The whole house shouldn't be punished for one child being sneaky... And it's okay to eat 'junk' in moderation. We shouldn't teach our kids not to touch snacks- we should teach them that if you want a snack, it is a treat and should be in moderation.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Make her sit and eat snacks till she throws up every time she steals.

J/K
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM
So buy treats in small quantities and let everyone eat them right then.

As for the teaching kids how to eat junk in moderation, obviously this girl is not getting the message.

Quoting Katalystic:

The whole house shouldn't be punished for one child being sneaky... And it's okay to eat 'junk' in moderation. We shouldn't teach our kids not to touch snacks- we should teach them that if you want a snack, it is a treat and should be in moderation.

Quoting Anonymous:

Katalystic
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Yeah, that's a feasible suggestion :)

Quoting Anonymous:

So buy treats in small quantities and let everyone eat them right then.

As for the teaching kids how to eat junk in moderation, obviously this girl is not getting the message.

Quoting Katalystic:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
padlocks are your friend.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)