Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Living in an apartment is...tacky?

I just read another post and someone said living in an apartment is tacky. Huh? what? Why? I am seriously wondering why?

There are so many benefits to living in an apartment. Even if I could get a house (which I probably could at some point and have had the opportunity to before but decided against it), I see nothing tacky about living in an apartment.

These are the reasons I personally love living in one:

My land lady is AMAZING.

If something breaks, it isn't my responsibility to shell out the cash to fix it. In teh 6 years we have lived here, we have gotten a new stove and a new fridge (they were both over 20 years old by then).

We have had frozen pipes and backed up sinks and I didn't have to shell out a penny for a plumber.

I get PAID to take care of the lawn.

I don't have to pay property taxes.

Why in the world is apartment living tacky?

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:31 AM
2 moms liked this
I live in a beautiful apartment, beautiful building with a great doorman. I would take that anyway over some of these tacky ass old looking houses that some of you can't even afford. To those who think its so bad living in an apartment you're probably renting your house or can't afford your mortgage. In hick towns everyone has a house so having a house isn't a big deal. Try living in a house in NYC , I bet your country broke ass couldn't t even afford to rent a bathroom in a house out here..smh
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:35 AM
for me personally, there is no privacy in an apartment complex. You are way overcharged for a very small space that doesn't offer you in most situations even a place for your children to play. I prefer to spend the same amount of money on a house with a yard and privacy
LoinND
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Nope I see nothing tacky about renting.

TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:41 AM

I had been trying to get my father to move into an apartment for almost two years after my mother passed away (the memories in the house he was living in...where they had lived together their entire married life, 40+ years, were killing him).  I was FINALLY able to convince him when his house's water heater died and he had to replace it....I made the point that if he was in an apartment, that wouldn't have cost him a thing.  He moved 2 months later. :-)

There is NOTHING wrong with living in an apartment...or renting a house.

Fatal_Frost
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I did apartment living when I was younger... its not all its cracked up to be... I absolutely love love love owning my own home though.... no upstairs or downstairs neighbours, my kids can be as loud as they want to be, I can change any fixture, any appliance, make renovations (its a new house so none needed thus far) I have loved personalizing each room, and after 4yrs here, there are still a mountainof possibilities... I love that I have a huge backyard that is a constant joy, with private space for my kids and my vegetable garden... its also an awesome investment and is awesome for our credit... I know apartments have a few benefits, but they're totally overshadowed by the benefits of owning our own home... I think the space and storage space alone makes it awesome
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Me, I wouldn't want to live in one but then again I would stay clear of a mobile home, too.

anonymous12308
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Better then living on the streets. I live in a nice 2 bedroom apt I love it. Yes a house would be nice but we cannot afford one right now. Every post has one anon starting something because sadly some women don't know how to grow up
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:54 AM

That would be MY reply.  It was a troll moment to take from OPs need of validation and I succeeded in getting the attention away from the OP's need to fish for compliments. THAT was actually my intent. I could personally give a fuck where people live.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:55 AM

sometimes i wish we had stayed in an apartment.. i got tired of the repairmen constantly coming in and stuff and them re-roofing the building and the downstairs neighbors banging on their ceiling when i was trying to bang my husband.. BUT...we have had to pay for sooooo many repairs ..hot water heater..various plumbing..pool pump (this is Florida..almost all the houses have a pool..don't have to be rich to have one.. for the same house in Knoxville, Tennessee you get a house with a pool) and on and on it went.. to the point where we are behind on our mortgage and get a threatening letter every month about them foreclosing on the house..

so no..it isn't tacky to live in an apartment.... there are good reasons to live in an apartment.....

Keara20
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:57 AM
My dh wants to do that too, would saveus $350 a month renting

Quoting Anonymous:

Been thinking about selling our house to nice into an apt. Sick of ownership responsibility.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured